Funeral services for Walter Palchik were held at Holy Trinity Church here on Thursday, February 6, 2014. Interment followed at Rova Farms, Jackson, NJ.
Mr. Palchik, 96, fell asleep in the Lord at his home in Old Bethpage, NY on February 1.
An exemplary model of lay leadership, Mr. Palchik was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1917. At the age of seven, he and his parents returned to Orda, near Minsk, Belarus. Collectivization efforts as a result of the Russian Revolution made life difficult. In 1937, he returned to the US, having been sponsored by a family member. Initially he worked as a carpenter journeyman and attended Brooklyn’s Holy Trinity Church, where he had been baptized. In 1942, he married the former Helen Pashkevich. He served in the US military during World War II and was granted an honorable discharge, after which he apprenticed as a metal-smith. In 1971 Helen, his wife of 29 years, passed away. Two years later he married the former Ann Mastaler of Vermont.
Throughout his life, he was involved in the life of the Church on many levels. In the 1950s, he became a member of East Meadow’s Holy Trinity Church, where he served at various times as “starosta,” parish council member, building committee member, improvement committee member, and in other capacities. He was very active in the Federated Russian Orthodox Clubs [today’s Fellowship of Orthodox Christians in America], serving as chapter president and governor of the Metropolitan District. He was a member of the Metropolitan Council, a founding member of the Saint Vladimir’s Foundation, and for many years an active member of the Board of Trustees of Saint Tikhon’s Seminary.
Mr. Palchik was widely known as a jeweler, sharing his talents, skills and professional resources with countless bishops, priests and parishes. He designed, manufactured, repaired, re-gilded hundreds of panagias, pectoral and baptismal crosses, chalices, Communion spoons, Gospel covers, censers, and other items. He often provided his services gratis or at reduced rates. He was generous to seminaries, the Fellowship of Orthodox Stewards, and many clergy. During the time of perestroika, he consulted with Russian artisans on the crafting of liturgical and religious articles. He was honored by the Orthodox Church of America numerous times for his work in the Church.
Mr. Palchik is survived by his four children, five grandchildren, and eleven great grandchildren. Contributions in his memory be made to Holy Trinity Church, 369 Green Avenue, East Meadow, NY 11554.
May Walter’s memory be eternal.