An extensive virtual exhibit of the Orthodox Church in America’s Archdiocese of Canada, “Roots of Community 1896-1937,” recently made its debut on the archdiocese’s web site, www.archdiocese.ca.
Combining an historic storyline with 450 images, documents, audio files, and educational resources for use in schools, the exhibit was prepared by the staff of the Vladyka Arseny Archives located at the Bishop’s Chancery.
“Roots of Community” explores the establishment of early Orthodox missions and parishes during the Church’s first four decades in Canada. Depicting the pioneer faith of the faithful, their clergy and youth, major events and celebrations and more, the exhibit is set against the background of early immigration and settlement, two world wars, the emergence of an increasingly urbanized Canadian society, and the Depression of the 1930s. The images used are drawn from key Canadian sources and from the Canadian photo series housed in the OCA’S Archives in Syosset, NY. Dozens of original archival documents from the Vladyka Arseny Archives are also found in the exhibit, reproduced in their original languages and in English translation.
Deep gratitude is extended to Mr. Alexis Liberovsky, OCA Archivist; to the Canadian Council of Archives, which provided financial support; and to all Canadian parishes that submitted photographs and information.