Diocese: Romanian Episcopate
Deanery: Central States Vicariate
144 30th St NW
Canton, Ohio 44709-3102
Canton, OH 44709
St George the Great Martyr and Trophy Bearer Orthodox Church is located in Canton, OH, the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It is approximately 50 miles south of Cleveland.
From the West
Take I-77 South towards Canton. Take Route 62 East towards Alliance. Take Market St exit. At end of exit ramp, turn left (north). At the next traffic signal, (30th St) turn left. The Church is immediately on the left.
From the East
Take Route 62 West towards Canton. Take the Market St exit. Pass through the traffic light at Market St. The Church is immediately on the left.
Schedule of Services
Services are held in the English language with some Romanian. Responses are offered by choir and cantors with some congregational singing.
6:00 PM Great Vespers as announced. Please call the parih office for weekly service schedule and updates.
8:30 AM Matins; 10:00 AM Divine Liturgy. During the months of July and August services are at 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM respectively. Church school is helfd at the conclusion of services and includes grades k-12. Coffee hour/fellowship follows.
7:00 PM Great Vespers as announced.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:30 AM Feast Day Divine Liturgy. Call the office for specific Feast Day Liturgies.
Mornings of Great Feasts
6:00 PM Pan-Orthodox Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts followed by Lenten Dinner and guest speakers.
Wednesday Evenings in Great Lent
Confessions are heard after Saturday Vespers, one half-hour before all Presanctified Liturgies and by special appointment. Sunday Confessions will be heard if requested one half-hour before Liturgy.
Please call the parish office at 330-492-4592 for schedule of other services, or to arrange appointments with Fr George for Baptisms, Marriages, Memorials, Thanksgiving Services, etc.
Our founders arrived in Canton, OH in 1911 as immigrants from Romania and the following year on October 12, 1912, established our St George the Great Martyr and Trophy Bearer Romanian Orthodox Church. The original Church was built on 1855 - 7th St and still stands today; the present Church was built between 1963 and 1965 and was consecrated on September 5, 1965.
St. George Church is a parish of the OCA whose Primate is Metropolitan Jonah. The parish diocese is the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, led by the Most Reverend Archbishop Nathaniel.
We have a church school that teaches religion to the parish children and they meet following Divine Liturgy. We have a youth group, AROY, and Ladies Auxiliary. Our youth program consists of yearly camp at the diocesan center—Camp Vatra in Jackson, MI for ages 10-17 years. The parish awards full scholarship to children attending.
The parish administration is done by a Parish Council elected yearly. They work in cooperation with the parish priest to fulfill the needs of the parish.
Parish life is diverse, made up of both Romanian and American born families. We maintain close inter-Orthodox relationships with the other Canton Orthodox clergy and faithful. Activities and retreats are shared with promising memebrs turning out to participate. Our youth program consists of yearly camp at the diocesan center—CAMP VATRA in Jackson, MI. Parish awards full scholarships to children attending. Camp ages are 10-17 years. Our Ladies Auxiliary Homespun Holiday Craft Show is held the Saturday before Thanksgiving. In addition, we host St. George Romanian Festival featuring great food and Doina Dance Ensemble, Transylvania Orchestra held the 3rd weekend in September.
With the energetic guidance of our pastor and devoted workers in the vineyard of our Lord, St George the Great Martyr Church in Canton, Ohio continues to strive to be a beacon of the true light to those who are searching.