A unique exhibit, titled “Icons: The Way to the Kingdom,” will open at the Villanova University Art Gallery, Villanova, PA, on Friday, October 26, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. and run through December 16.
The exhibit will include Cretan, Romanian, Syrian, Coptic, Carpathian-Rusyn, Greek, Russian, Serbian and Ukrainian icons along with vestments, Gospel books, chalices, and mitres. The artifacts were drawn from the Metropolitan Museum of the Orthodox Church of America at the Monastery of Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk, South Canaan, PA, and private collections. Some of the artifacts have never before been seen publicly.
According to a press release issued by Saint Tikhon’s Seminary dated October 9, “In collaboration with the Rev. Richard G. Cannuli, OSA, Director and Curator of the Villanova University Art Gallery, the exhibit was conceived, the icons and other liturgical items gathered, and their display organized by Archpriest John Perich, Pastor of Saint Herman of Alaska Church, Gradyville, PA, and Administrator of Saint Nicholas Cathedral, Washington, DC.”
The exhibit is open to the public. Special events associated with the exhibit include the following.
- Friday, October 26 5:00 to 7:00 PM Official Opening Ceremonies and Reception with a 6:00 PM Prayer Service of Thanksgiving, blessing the opening of the exhibit, with the Miraculous Icon of “She Who Is Quick to Hear.”
- Sunday, October 28 3:00 PM Featuring the icon and relics of Saints Cosmas and Damian in the Art Gallery.
- Monday, October 29 4:00 PM Lecture by Metropolitan Hilarion with the conferring of Honorary Doctorate, Villanova University, Connelly Center, Villanova Room.
- Sunday, November 4 3:00 PM Featuring the Icon of the “Synaxis of the Archangel Michael and all the Holy Angels” in the Art Gallery.
- Sunday, November 11 3:00 PM Featuring the Icon and Holy Relics of St. John Chrysostom and the Doctors of the Church in the Art Gallery.
- Wednesday, November 14 7:00 PM lecture by Father Justin, Librarian of Saint Catherine’s Monastery, Mt. Sinai, at Villanova University, Connelly Center, Villanova Room. His topic is “The Beauty and Significance of Icons.”
- Sunday, November 18 3:00 PM Featuring the Icon and Holy Relics of Saint Patriarch Tikhon of Moscow and the Holy New Martyrs of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Art Gallery.
- Sunday, November 25 (By Invitation Only) 3:00 PM His Eminence, the Most Reverend Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America and New York of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR), will speak and bring the Wonderworking Kursk Root Icon of “Our Lady of the Sign” to the Villanova Room or Connelly Center Cinema.
- Wednesday, November 28 7:00 PM Panel discussion by His Grace, Bishop Alexander of Toledo and the Bulgarian Diocese; Archpriest Dr. John Kowalczyck; Rev. Dr. Joseph Loya, OSA; and Rev. Dr. James Dougherty, on the icon of “Saint Elizabeth Greeting Mary,” the sanctity of life exegesis on the “greeting” in the Connelly Center Cinema.
- Sunday, December 2 3:00 PM Featuring the Icon and Holy Relics of Saint Nicholas of Myra and Bari the Wonderworker in the Art Gallery.
- Thursday, December 6 Lecture (By Invitation Only) 7:00 PM by Metropolitan Kallistos at Villanova University, Connelly Center, Villanova Room.
- Sunday, December 9 3:00 PM Featuring the “Holy Myrrh Weeping” Icon of Saint Anna with the Mother of God (Conception of Holy Theotokos by Saint Anna) in the Art Gallery.
- Sunday, December 16 3:00 PM Featuring the Icon and Holy Relics of Saint Herman of Alaska and a closing prayer service in Thanksgiving of the exhibit in the Art Gallery.