Diocese: Diocese of the Midwest
Deanery: Chicago Deanery
8301 S LeClaire Ave
Burbank, Illinois 60459
5037 W 83rd St
Burbank, IL 60459
Warrenville, IL 60555
Archangel Michael Orthodox Church is located at 83rd St and LeClaire Ave in western Burbank, IL, three miles south of Midway Airport.
From North or South
Take Cicero Ave (State Highway 50) to 83rd St. Go west on 83rd about 1/4 mile to LeClaire. The parking lot entrance will immeditely precede the church.
From I-294 (Tri-State Tollway)
Exit 95th St (US Highway 12-20) east. Take Cicero Ave (State Highway 50) north/left to 83rd St. Go west/left on 83rd about 1/4 mile to LeClaire. The parking lot entrance will immeditely precede the church.
Archangel Michael Church is handicapped accessible
Schedule of Services
All services are in English.
5:30 PM Great Vespers and Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy, followed by children’s Sunday School, Adult Education, and Coffee Social.
9:15 AM Hours.
7:00 PM Vespers or Vigil.
Eves of Great Feasts
10:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
Confessions are heard following Saturday Evening Vespers, before Liturgy on the first Sunday of the month, or by appointment.
Panakhida (Memorial Service) is served following Divine Liturgy on the first Sunday of the month.
Please call the rectory at 708-423-2441 for a schedule of other services, to have someone prayed for in the services, or to arrange Baptisms, Marriages, etc.
The first events leading to the establishment of the parish were services performed by St John Kochurov in the homes of the local Orthodox Christians. A family’s infant was baptized on March 23, 1903 and another couple was married on May 27, 1903. By 1909 this small group of Slavic Orthodox Christians felt that they were numerous enough to establish themselves as a formal parish. They petitioned Archbishop Platon who urged them to not delay in building a church in Chicago’s south side. The Church and a rectory were soon built and on June 10, 1910, Bishop Alexander blessed the cornerstone.
By the 1960’s, the second and third generation parishioners had begun a migration to the south western suburbs and the parish decided to move the church. In 1967 property was purchased in Stickney township and a rectory was constructed, but due to a poor real estate market, the old church would not be sold for a number of years. The parish held services in a local Protestant church until they built a social hall. In 1982, with an $80,000 mortgage and generous low-interest loans from local churches (both Orthodox and non-Orthodox), construction began on the new temple and on October 30, 1983 it was consecrated with a service led by Bishop Boris.