Saint Bassian of Uglich was a disciple of Saint Paisius of Uglich (June 6). He was born in the village of Rozhalov, in the Kesov district of the city of Bezhetsk Verkha. He was descended from the Shestikhin princes, whose ancestor was the prince Saint Theodore of Smolensk (September 19).
Saint Bassian came to the Protection monastery when he was thirty-three years of age, and was soon tonsured by Saint Paisius. He fulfilled his obediences without complaint and lived in great abstinence. In 1482, Saint Bassian discovered the Protection Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos. Having spent twenty years at the monastery of Saint Paisius, Saint Bassian then asked a blessing to live in silence. His teacher blessed him saying, “Go my child, be guided by Christ with the blessed yoke of the Lord as it pleases Him. Soon you yourself shall form your own monastery and gather a monastic flock to the glory of the the Most Holy Trinity.”
In 1492 Saint Bassian left the monastery and, after spending time at the Nikolo-Uleimsk monastery, he went to a remote place thirty versts south of Uglich and began to live as a hermit. Soon people learned of his solitary habitation and began to come for advice and guidance.
In 1492, the saint built a wooden church dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity, and soon those wishing to live the monastic life came to be guided by him. Saint Bassian did not cease his relationship with his teacher until the latter’s death, at which he was present together with other disciples.
Having dwelt at the Trinity monastery for seventeen years, Saint Bassian died on February 12, 1509. Three years later, a man named Gerasimus received healing from unclean spirits at his grave, and another fellow named Valerian was healed of palsy.
Saint Bassian was glorified in 1548 at the uncovering of his incorrupt relics, over which a stone crypt was built. Saint Bassian is commemorated twice during the year: on the day of his repose, February 12, and on June 6 with his spiritual teacher Saint Paisius of Uglich.