The Rev. Archdeacon Kirill Sokolov
Director, Diaconal and Late Vocations
- B.A. in History with Distinction, minor in Russian Literature, University of California, San Diego, 2000
- M.Div., St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 2007
M.Div. Thesis: The Diaconate in the Orthodox Church Today
Supervisor: Archpriest Paul Lazor
[Theological Research Exchange Network No. 015-0462]
Archdeacon C. Kirill Sokolov is the Director of Diaconal and Late Vocations Programs of the Orthodox Church in America and serves at Holy Trinity Cathedral, San Francisco. A M.Div. graduate of St. Vladimir's Seminary, he previously served as deacon to the Metropolitan and Lecturer in Liturgics at St. Vladimir's Seminary. He is currently Adjunct Instructor in Liturgics at St. Herman Seminary (Kodiak, AK). He is regularly asked to lead workshops for clergy, those studying for diaconal ordination, subdeacons, and altar servers. He assists the Metropolitan and hierarchs of the Church at church-wide liturgical celebrations. He is the author of A Subdeacon's Manual (available from the bookstores of St Vladimir's Seminary Press and St Tikhon's Seminary Press). Father Kirill's breadth of experience in different dioceses throughout North America enables him to teach to a standard of practice while being cognizant of authentic local norms.
Archdeacon Kirill and his wife Sophia (St. Vladimir's Seminary, M.A., 2005) are the proud parents of two little boys: Nicholas and Gregory. The Archdeacon, whose given name is Christopher Kirill, works full time as Director of Technology at San Domenico School, an independent school for grades PreK through 12 in San Anselmo, CA. He provides leadership throughout the School's three divisions in organizational management and educational technology and seeks to imbue his department's customer service efforts with a spirit of diakonia. He is currently working with colleagues at other leading schools on piloting iPads and other emerging technology in the classroom. At San Domenico, he is implementing new "1-1" student technology programs and delving into issues of institutional growth and strategic planning.
Lectures and Workshops
- Diaconal Liturgical Practicum, St Vladimir's Seminary, June 2011 (upcoming).
- "1-1 iPads: from Pilot Projects to Decision," California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) Regional Meeting, March 2011.
- Keynote and three presentations, 2011 Diocese of the South Pastoral Conference, Clinton MS, February 2011.
- BAISNet "iPad in Education" symposium, San Francisco University High School, February 2, 2011.
- BAISNet "iPad in Education" symposium, San Domenico School, November 10, 2010.
- Diaconal Liturgical Practicum, Diocese of the West (Oregon), September 2010.
- Diaconal Liturgical Practicum, St Herman Seminary, August 2010.
- Diaconal Liturgical Practicum, St Vladimir's Seminary, June 2010.
- Diaconal Liturgical Practicum (two sessions), St Vladimir's Seminary, June 2009.
- "Extending learning using Moodle at a small graduate school - our experience," 2-3-98 Open Source Conference, State University of New York College of Technology at Delhi, June 2008.
- Diaconal Liturgical Practicum, St Vladimir's Seminary, June 2008.
- Liturgics Track, St Vladimir's Seminary Liturgical Institute of Music and Pastoral Practice, June 2007.
- "Greeks and Russians Together - San Francisco Church Life in the Beginning," Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, San Francisco, CA, May 2007.
- Practical Training in Serving for Clergy and Servers, Ss Peter and Paul Church, Phoenix, AZ, October 2006.
- Workshop for Deacons and Subdeacons, Life-Giving Spring Retreat Center, Boulder City, NV, February 2006.
- "Temple of God - Members of Christ," Holy Trinity Antiochian Orthodox Church, Santa Fe, NM, January 2006.
- "The Place of Technology in the Church," 14th All-American Council of the Orthodox Church in America, Toronto, ON, July 2005.
- "Technology and the Church?" St Vladimir's Seminary Liturgical Institute of Music and Pastoral Practice, June 2005.
- Workshop for Deacons and Subdeacons, Life-Giving Spring Retreat Center, Boulder City, NV, February 2005.
- Practical Training in Serving for Deacons and Diaconal Candidates, St Mary's Cathedral, Minneapolis, MN, August 2004.
- Practical Training in Serving for Deacons and Diaconal Candidates, St Gregory of Nyssa Church, Columbus, OH, June 2004.
- Practical Training in Serving for Deacons, St. John the Forerunner Church Indianapolis, IN, February 2004.
- "Using Technology in Service to the Church" (III-2007) in Resource Handbook (Orthodox Church in America, 2007)
- A Subdeacon's Manual (2004)
- Elevated to office of Archdeacon of the Metropolitan of the Orthodox Church in America (January 30, 2009)
- Awarded dignity of wearing the kamilavka (May 17, 2008)
- Elevated to office of Protodeacon by the Holy Synod of Bishops (May 20, 2006)
- Awarded dignity of wearing the double orarion (November 19, 2005)
- Ordained to the Diaconate by His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman (January 30, 2004)
- Tonsured a Subdeacon by His Grace Bishop Tikhon, Diocese of the West (1994)
- Tonsured a Reader by His Grace Bishop Tikhon, Diocese of the West (1992)
- Director, Diaconal and Late Vocations, Orthodox Church in America (2010-present)
- Member, Orthodox Church in America's Board of Theological Education (2010-present)
- Member, Orthodox Church in America's Committee on Diaconal Vocations (2007-present)
- Consultant, Orthodox Church in America's Department of Liturgical Music and Translations (2005-present)
- Volunteer webmaster for http://www.schmemann.org (1998-present)
- Board Member, Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting of SCOBA (2008-2010)
- Webmaster, Orthodox Church in America (2007-2010)
- Member, Orthodox Information Technologies Commission [OITC] of SCOBA (2004-2009)
- Member, Corporation of Ss Cosmas and Damian Adult Home, Staten Island, NY (2004-2005)
- Founder, Orthodox Christian Fellowship at UCSD (2000)
- Volunteer webmaster for Holy Trinity Cathedral, San Francisco (1993-2007)
Professional and Teaching Experience
- Director of Technology, San Domenico School, San Anselmo, CA (present)
- Adjunct Instructor in Liturgics, St. Herman Seminary, Kodiak, AK (present)
- Associate Chancellor for Systems, St Vladimir's Seminary (2008-2009)
- Adjunct Instructor, Concordia College-New York, (2008)
- Lecturer in Liturgics, St Vladimir's Seminary, (2007-2009)
- Director of Systems, St Vladimir's Seminary, (2003-2008)
- Systems Engineer, St Vladimir's Seminary, (2001-2003)
- Assistant Manager of Customer Support/Programmer Analyst, Academic Computing Services/Network Operations, University of California, San Diego, (2000-2001)
- Senior Technical Support Representative, Academic Computing Services/Network Operations, University of California, San Diego, (1996-2000)