The Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America, under the chairmanship of His Eminence, Archbishop Nathaniel of Detroit and the Romanian Episcopate, Locum Tenens of the Primatial See of the Orthodox Church in America, held an extraordinary one-day session at Saint Andrew House here on Monday, August 13, 2012.
During the meeting, the hierarchs
- heard reports from Archpriest John Jillions, Chancellor, and Archpriest Eric G. Tosi, Secretary, who reported that the interim situation of the Central Administration is proceeding in a calm and efficient manner. His Grace, Bishop Michael of New York and New York and New Jersey, highlighted the main points of the report of the Treasurer, Ms. Melanie Ringa.
- heard a report from Archpriest Leonid Kishkovsky, Director of External Affairs, on recent developments in world Orthodoxy and the recent trip of His Grace, Bishop Alexander of Toledo and the Bulgarian Archdiocese and the OCA delegation to Kyiv, Ukraine. [See related article.]
- heard a report from Father Eric on preparations for the Special All-American Council. The members of the Holy Synod are awaiting final logistical details before announcing the date and location. The Holy Synod set the agenda for a one-day special Council, the sole focus of which will be the election of a new Metropolitan. The Holy Synod decided that the Council should be held at the earliest possible opportunity.
- approved the members of the Preconciliar Commission nominated by the Metropolitan Council.
- considered applicants for the position of Dean and Rector of Saint Catherine’s Representation Church, Moscow.
- reviewed various clergy cases.
- heard an update by Father John on the search for the Coordinator and Investigators for the Office of Review of Sexual Misconduct Allegations [ORSMA]. A final review of applicants is in process.
In addition to Archbishop Nathaniel and Bishops Michael and Alexander, other bishops in attendance included His Eminence, Archbishop Nikon of Boston, of New England, and the Albanian Archdiocese; His Eminence, Archbishop Tikhon of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, Secretary; His Eminence, Archbishop Benjamin of San Francisco and the West; His Eminence, Archbishop Alejo of Mexico City and Mexico; His Grace, Bishop Melchisedek of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania; His Grace, Bishop Matthias of Chicago and the Midwest; and His Grace, Bishop Mark, Auxiliary Bishop of Baltimore.