Diocese: Diocese of New England
Deanery: Connecticut Deanery
26 Howard Ave
Ansonia, Connecticut 06401-2208
Waterbury, CT 06708
Stratford, CT 06615
Three Saints Orthodox Church is located in Ansonia, Connecticut, in the Lower Naugatuck Valley, approximately 10 miles outside of New Haven.
From Route 8 north
Take Route 8 north to exit 16, General Pershing Dr. At second traffic light, turn left onto Division St. Go to top of hill and at first traffic light, turn right. Go approximaty 50 feet and turn left onto Howard Ave. Three Saints Church is on the right.
From Merrit Parkway, (Route 15) South
Bear right onto Route 34. Continue to Route 8 north and follow directions as above.
Take Route 8 south to exit 17. At end of ramp, turn left and bear right onto Atwater Ave. Pass through first traffic light (Atwater and Clifton Ave) approimately 50 feet, then make a left onto Howard Ave. Three Saints Church is on the right.
Schedule of Services
4:00 PM Evening Vespers and Confessions.
9:00 AM Divine Liturgy followed by Fellowship Hour (Year-Round) and Church School (September–June).
8:45 AM Hours.
6:30 PM Vespers and Matins Service. If Feast Day falls on Monday, Vespers is served following the Sunday Divine Liturgy at 11:00 AM.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
Confessions are heard one half hour before or after Great Vespers on Saturday evening. General confession is offered the first Saturday of every month immediately following Great Vespers.
Please call the rectory at 203-734-3988 for schedule of other services, or to arrange Baptisms, Weddings, Parastas, etc.
[Will appear after all other details]
Three Saints Orthodox Church, 26 Howard Ave, Ansonia, Connecticut, under the leadership of Very Reverend Nicholas Timpko, celebrated the centennial of its founding on October 15, 1995.
Three Saints beginnings could be traced to the end of the last century with immigrants fleeing the Slavic nations (Northern Europe to Southern and Central Europe) to escape religious, cultural, and political persecution that was overbearing in their countries and to better their economic status.
In 1890, a small group of people from Ansonia, mostly from Austria-Hungary and Galicia, formed a group in order to observe their religious teaching. The Brotherhood of St Vasily the Great was instrumental in securing the services of a pastor from neighboring cities, mainly Bridgeport and New York. Services were held sporadically on Sundays and Holidays in various rented quarters.
On January 1, 1895, the organization formally petitioned Bishop Nicholas of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska to accept the group as a congregation. From its humble beginnings as a congregation in 1895, the Society struggled to maintain the Church. The society was not content to exist in rented quarters and in 1899 purchased a parcel of land on Howard Ave and Crescent St and erected a new church edifice.
The Church was built mainly by the men of the parish who labored on the church property after their day’s work was completed in the local factories. In 1900, Archimandrite Raphael blessed the cornerstone. The Church, formally dedicated in October 1900 by Reverend Ptolemey Timchenkoff, remained under the guidance of the St Vasily Brotherhood until 1903.
In 1903 the Brotherhood deeded the Church properties for the sum of one dollar to the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Three Saints Congregation. This was the beginning of the Three Saints Orthodox Church. On October 4, 1904, the parish incorporated itself under the laws of the state of Connecticut.
On January 25, 1954, tragedy struck. A flash fire completely gutted the interior of our House of Worship. This fire intensified the parishoners’ desires to see completion of the long planned building program. February 1954 saw the largest body of parishoners attending a parish meeting in the Ansonia High School Auditorium to approve plans to construct a new edifice.
Ground blessing ceremonies with His Grace, Archbishop Dimitry of Boston officiating took place on July 25, 1954; on November 20, 1955, the first Divine Liturgy was held in our new Church.
The Church edifice today is itself testimony to the glory of God, with its marvelous and inspiring iconography by Pimen Sofronov. That same edifice, built to replace the former Church destroyed by fire, is the proof of Christ’s words: “With God all things are possible.”