Diocese: Albanian Archdiocese
Deanery: Great Lakes Deanery
103 Palmer St
PO Box 1274
Jamestown, New York 14702-1274
Jamestown, NY 14701
Take Harrison Street to Baker Street. Follow Baker with hospital lawn on your right. After three blocks, take right onto Sprague Street. Go two blocks. Church is at corner of Palmer and Sprague Streets.
Schedule of Services
11:00 AM Divine Liturgy. Liturgy is held twice per month, please call for schedule. (English)
In 1911, the Rev Fan S Noli, later the most reverend Metropolitan of the Albanian Orthodox Cathedral of St George in Boston, MA, conducted the first services for a handful of early Albanian immigrants in Russell House on Third St. From 1914 to 1919, the congregation held regular services in that hall. During the years of 1919 to 1925, they worshipped in the Odd Fellows Hall and subsequently moved to the Market St Hall. By 1930 their numbers had grown and their strong desire to build a church of their own was finally fulfilled. Their first church was built on Sprague St Hill and was named after St. Elia. The committee which led the construction effort was composed of Andrew Vishnia, chairman, Nikolla Manno, Thanas Ndrio, Louis Vrusho, Vani Dhima, Theodore Thomas, Thomas Shagla, Alex Poda, Christo Dura, and Charles Viska. They were supported by many of the church faithful in this endeavor.
A number of priests served the church through the years with the Rev George Loli serving as pastor for many years starting in 1944. The Ladies Auxiliary Society, “Daughters of St Elia” was organized in 1930 with Helen Kote as chairman and is an integral part of the church to this day. The church choir was introduced in 1937 with Virginia Andrews Semo as its first director; and today, Nicholas Manno serves as choir director.
In 1955, the city of Jamestown acquired the church property and the Brooklyn Heights Methodist Church, located at the corner of Sprague and Palmer Sts was purchased by the Albanian Congregation.
Liturgies are held twice a month on Saturdays at 11:00 AM by Father John P. Hutnyan of Cheektowaga, NY.
In 2011, St. Elia celebrated 100 years of Orthodoxy in the Jamestown area. People of various ethnic backgrounds now participate in our Liturgies, which are presented in English, and everyone is welcome to attend.