St. John the Baptist Church Accessible

Nanticoke, Pennsylvania

St. John the Baptist Church

Founded 1911

Status:

Serviced by Diocesan Clergy

Diocese: Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania

Deanery: Wilkes-Barre Deanery

Address

Front & Welles Sts
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania 18634

Mailing address:

PO Box 455
Nanticoke, PA 18634-0455

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

http://www.stjohnsnanticoke.org

Parish Contacts

Lay Leadership

Mr. Joseph P Paprota
Choir Director
13 Tanya Dr
Hanover Twp., PA 18706
Home: 570-829-4112

Schedule of Services

4:00 PM Great Vespers.
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Sunday Morning

6:00 PM Vespers
Eves of Great Feasts

9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts

Confessions are heard following Saturday Vespers or by appointment.
Confessions

Parish Background

St John the Baptist Church had its origin in October, 1911 in what was then called Rhone, PA.  Its humble beginning originated with a group of some eleven families and a few individuals who immigrated here from Europe.  Faced with an enormous task, they began with the purchase of a double block home on the corner of Front and Welles St.  This home was then moved to the back and was used as a rectory while the church was being built in the front.  The first service was celebrated by Fr Kivko, who was succeded by the first permanent pastor, Rev A Salanka.

In 1918, the Iconostas, the interior of the church and the icons were completed.  There have been numerous improvements to the church, including remodelings, additions, and a new parish rectory, all resulting from the hard work and dedication of the parishioners and pastors through the years.