Diocese: Diocese of the Midwest
Deanery: Chicago Deanery
1121 N Leavitt St
Chicago, Illinois 60622-3502
Chicago, IL 60622-3502
Chicago, IL 60646
Chicago, IL 60615-5664
Chicago, IL 60640-3981
Darien, IL 60561-4511
Port Washington, WI 53074-1121
Chicago, IL 60615-5112
Chicago, IL 60641
Marshfield, MO 65706
Elmwood Park, IL 60635
Rockport, IL 61114
Chicago, IL 60641
Oak Park, IL 60304
Holy Trinity Cathedral is located on the east side of Leavitt St between Thomas and Haddon (1 block south of Division St) and across the street from St Mary of Nazareth Hospital.
By car from the Expressway
From I-90/94 exit at Division St. Drive west to Leavitt St. Turn left and drive south 2 short blocks (passing the Cathedral) to Thomas St. Turn left on Thomas and then left into first alley. Drive straight ahead to the Cathedral parking lot.
By “L” train blue line from O'Hare (going SE) or downtown
Exit blue line train at Division St. stop. Take #70 Division St bus west to Leavitt St. Exit bus and walk south one short block to Cathedral.
Schedule of Services
4:30 PM Vigil.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
7:00 P.M. Vigil
Eves of Great Feasts
9:30 A.M. Divine Liturgy
Mornings of Great Feasts
Please call 773-486-6064 for more information.
A small Orthodox community forms in Chicago consisting of Russians, Greeks, Serbs, and other Eastern Europeans. Fr (St) Alexis Toth of Minneapolis occasionally conducts services for the fledgling group.
St Vladimir’s Orthodox Church, located near present-day Racine and Madison, consecrated on June 7. First permanent priest is Fr Nicholas Grinkevich, later followed by Fr Ambrose Vretta.
Fr (St) John Kochurov of St Petersburg, Russia, becomes priest at St Vladimir’s. The community by this time is predominately Carpatho-Russian and Russian.
Fr John Kochurov, with the blessing of Bishop (St) Tikhon, commissions architect Louis Sullivan to construct a new home for St Vladimir’s parishoners on the corner of Leavitt and Haddon.
First service in new Holy Trinity Orthodox Church is held on March 25, with Bishop Tikhon in attendance. The Bishop consecrates the Church in August.
Bishop Tikhon and Fr John Kochurov return to Russia.
Fr John Kochurov murdered by Bolshviks in Tsarskoye Selo, Russia. Bishop Tikhon is elevated as Patriarch of Russia.
Holy Trinity becomes the Cathedral of the new auxiliary bishop of Chicago, Theophilus.
Patriarch Tikhon dies in imprisonment in the Soviet Union.
Archbishop John (Garklavs) elected to Diocese of Chicago and Minneapolis.
Bishop Boris consecrated at Holy Trinity Cathedral to serve the Diocese of the Midwest.
Fr Sergei Garklavs becomes priest at the Cathedral.
Patriarch Tikhon is canonized a Saint in Russia.
Holy Trinity celebrates its Centennial.
His Grace, Bishop Job, is appointed as Bishop of the Diocese of the Midwest. Also in this year, Patriarch Alexis II of Russia serves at Holy Trinity Cathedral as part of Bicentennial of Orthodoxy in America celebrations.
Fr John Kochurov is canonized a Saint in Russia.
Holy Trinity Cathedral thrives as a diverse and dedicated Orthodox community including descendants of the founders, immigrants from Eastern Europe and downstate, and converts from other faiths.