St. Mary Church

Cornucopia, Wisconsin

St. Mary Church

Founded 1906

Status:

Serviced by Minneapolis Deanery Clergy

Diocese: Diocese of the Midwest

Deanery: Minneapolis Deanery

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. Paul Wesche
Priest-in-Charge
4920 40th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55417
Home: 612-722-2506

Lay Leadership

Mr. George Lazorik
Contact Person
HC 64 Box 8B
Cornucopia, WI 54827
Home: 715-742-3409

Directions

From Highway 13, turn east on County Highway C.  At third intersection (Erie Ave), turn right.

Schedule of Services

10:30 AM Reader Service or Divine Liturgy.  From April through November, there is some type of service every Sunday at 10:30.  Divine Liturgy is served monthly.
Sunday Morning

For pastoral emergencies, call Fr 651-631-0268 or 612-722-2506.  For General Information, call George Lazorik at 715-742-3409.

Parish Background

St Mary Orthodox Church began to be organized in 1906, and was permanently established in 1909.  Its founders were Orthodox Christians of Slavic background.  Most moved to the area with the promise of land ownership and employment in the logging industry.  As their Orthodox Christian faith was essential to their lives, the building of the Church community was a natural outcome.  With the gradual closing of the lumber industry, many families migrated to other parts of the region, while some families stayed in the area.

Always having been a small parish, St Mary’s nonetheless maintains a regular seasonal worship schedule, and continues to attract worshippers and tourists during the non-winter months.  Set in the woods at the edge of this Lake Superior village, St Mary Church of Cornucopia provides an anchor of faith for its parishioners and a spiritual retreat for travelers.