St. John the Baptist Church

Stanley, Wisconsin

St. John the Baptist Church

Founded 1906

Status:

Serviced by Minneapolis Deanery Clergy

Diocese: Diocese of the Midwest

Deanery: Minneapolis Deanery

Address

Rt #2
Stanley, Wisconsin 54768

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. Paul Wesche
Dean, Minneapolis Deanery
4920 40th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55417
Home: 612-722-2506

Parish Background

The parish is the oldest Orthodox Church in the state of Wisconsin, having celebrated 100 years in 2006.

The church was recently designated as a historic site by the Chippewa County Historical Society.  A new plaque that was placed on the church reads:  “St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church is the oldest Orthodox church in the state of Wisconsin.  Shortly after their arrival from eastern Europe in 1901, the Carpatho-Russian community settled in this area and began holding church services in their homes.  They built the church building in 1906 following the Byzantine style of architecture and included a dome with an Orthodox cross placed on top.”