St. Demetrius Church Accessible

Jackson, Michigan

St. Demetrius Church

Founded 1958

Diocese: Diocese of the Midwest

Deanery: Michigan Deanery

Address

3043 Seymour Rd
Jackson, Michigan 49204

Mailing address:

PO Box 125
Jackson, MI 49204-0125

http://www.stdemetrius.com

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. Dusan Koprivica
Rector
5919 Amber
Jackson, MI 49201
Home: 517-783-5494

Lay Leadership

Mrs. Jean Dennerll
Choir Director
3650 W Primilia Ln
Jackson, MI 49203
Home: 517-783-4681
Mrs. Barbara Rocco
Choir Director
6961 Gaitway
Jackson, MA 49201
Home: 517-787-1986
Mrs. Patricia Koprivica
Church School Coordinator
Mrs. Denise Parks
Church School Coordinator
11205 Mackie Rd
Parma, MI 49269
Home: 517-531-4495

Directions

General Location
St Demetrius Orthodox Church is located in Jackson, MI, approximately 35 miles west of Ann Arbor, 38 miles south of Lansing, and 55 miles east of Kalamazoo.  The Church is also located 10 miles south of Holy Dormition Monastery in Rives Junction.

From Interstate 94 westbound from Detroit
Exit Elm Rd (exit 141).  Look immediately for Seymour Rd, directly north of the interstate.  Turn right (east) on Seymour Rd and travel 1 mile.  Church is on the right just past a sweeping right turn at the top of the hill.

From the north and eastbound to Detroit
Take US 127 south to I-94 and go east (towards Detroit).  Exit Elm Rd and turn left over the bridge (exit 141).  Look immediately for Seymour Rd, directly north of the interstate.  Turn right (east) on Seymour Rd and travel 1 mile.  Church is on the right just past a sweeping right turn at the top of the hill.

Schedule of Services

5:00 PM Vespers.
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Sunday Morning

Adult Education Classes are held from 6:30-8 PM during Fall and Spring.
Wednesday Evening

5:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
Wednesday & Friday Evenings During Great Lent

6:00 PM Great Vespers.
Eves of Great Feasts

Confessions are heard before and after Vespers or Liturgy.
Confessions

Parish Background

The history of an Orthodox parish is a history of God’s many blessings and graces upon it and upon its people.  It is a record of sacrifices, labors, difficulties overcome, sudden changes and growth.  It is with profound gratitude to God that this parish looks back upon its eariest days, the time of its small beginnings and to the vision of hope and apostolic courage that marked its birth and earliest years.

St Demetrius Orthodox parish began within the bosom of St Andrew Orthodox parish of East Lansing, MI.  Conscious of the need for a parochial mission to serve the spiritual needs of the many Orthodox families of Jackson, Archpriest Photius Donahue, pastor of the East Lansing parish, determined to establish a missionary work in Jackson.  St Andrew parish was in its own infancy, having been founded in 1952, yet it was from this church that attention was first given to organizing the Orthodox families in Jackson into a mission parish.

From 1952 until 1959, Fr Photius, with the assistance of the priests and people of St Andrew parish, worked among the people in Jackson, visiting them in hospitals, in their homes, and inviting them to participate in the parish activities and services in East Lansing.

It soon became apparent that there was the very real possibility and the definite need for a mission parish in Jackson so that those who could not travel regularly to East Lansing might have the blessings of the Orthodox Faith in their own midst.  Therefore, Fr Photius celebrated the first Holy Liturgy in Jackson on the feast of SS Peter and Paul, July 1956, in rented quarters in the Moose Hall.

On October 5, 1958, Bishop Bogdan visited Jackson to bless the new quarters which the parish had secured as a temporary chapel and classroom center at 1216 Cooper St.  Fr Photius and Bishop Bogdon concelebrated the Vespers at which His Grace spoke with encouragement to the faithful attendees, and praised them for their dedication to Orthodoxy in working for the firmer establishment of the parish.

On March 1, 1959, Fr John Ball was appointed the first permanent pastor for St Demetrius parish.  During the months which followed, Fr John came to Jackson once each month to celebrate Liturgy and guide the religious education program.  Under self-sacrificing labors, the people were encouraged, finally, to purchase the present permanent building at 3043 Seymour Rd.  Archbishop Jonathan consecrated the church on October 26, 1968.

In 1979, St Demetrius Parish, by unanimous action of the Rector, the Parish Council and the membership, applied for the first time to be received in the Orthodox Church in America.  On July 10, 1983, in the presence of Bishop Clement of the Russian Patriarchate, St Demetrius Parish was transferred from the Patriarchate of Moscow to the OCA.

Today
St Demetrius Church has enjoyed God’s blessings on many fronts. The cycle of services which are offered in our church has been expanded. Our relationship with Holy Dormition Monastery in Rives Junction prospers. Several new families have made St Demetrius their parish home. In 2003 our church celebrated its 45th anniversary.  All in all, St Demetrius continues to build a vibrant, open Orthodox community for the greater Jackson area. May God continue to bless our efforts, to the glory of His name.

On October 27, 2008, we celebrated our 50th Anniversary.  Our small parish, by the grace of God, commissioned a new iconostasis, and new frescoes to adorn the church.