St. Nicholas Church

Pittsfield, Massachusetts

St. Nicholas Church

Founded 1916


Serviced by Diocesan clergy.

Diocese: Diocese of New England

Deanery: Connecticut Deanery


1304 North St.
Pittsfield, Massachusetts 01201-1541

Church: 413-442-2669

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. David Koles
Dean, Connecticut Deanery
9 Frankie Ln
Terryville, CT 06786
Home: 860-582-7686
Office: 860-573-0013

Lay Leadership

Emilie Goudey
Parish President


General Location
St Nicholas Church is located in Pittsfield, MA, the heart of the Berkshires, approximately 30 miles east of Albany, NY and close to Tanglewood, Jacob’s Pillow and other attractions.

St Nicholas Church is located on upper North St. before Pontoosuc Lake.

Going north on Rt 7
2.4 miles from Park Square in the center of Pittsfield. Church is on the right.

Going south on Rt 7
Come south through Lanesborough, Church in on the left after Pontoosuc Lake.

Schedule of Services

6:00 PM Vespers.
Saturday Evening

10:00 AM Divine Liturgy, followed by coffee hour and Sunday school.
Sunday Morning

6:30 PM Daily Vespers and Study Group
Wednesday Evening

6:30 PM Great Vespers.
Eves of Great Feasts

9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.  (Please see web site of call rectory for updated times)
Mornings of Great Feasts

Confessions are available Saturday evening after Vespers and one half hour before Liturgy.

Parish Background

St Nicholas Orthodox Church was organized at the meeting held on May 20, 1916 after the Holy Liturgy service by Fr Peter Holkovich, who was appointed as the rector of the new Church Organization. There were 50 persons present at the foregoing first organizational meeting; they expressed their will to join the parish and become members of the Orthodox faith and the Church of their forefathers.

During the first year of the Church’s existence, services were held at the Episcopal Church. In April 1917, the parish acquired a piece of land and house situated on the corner of Wahconah and Charles Streets, Pittsfield, MA, and began to rebuild the house for the Church. The Church was consecrated on July 22, 1917.

Today St. Nicholas Orthodox Church is a unique community, made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and is truly a witness to the universality of Orthodoxy. Our parish represents a cross section of people of various age, education and ethnic backgrounds living throughout Berkshire County.We are truly Pan-Orthodox. Several members were born into Orthodox families but many others have converted to the Orthodox Faith as adults. Together we are either rediscovering the faith after many long years, or learning about Jesus Christ and the Orthodox Church for the very first time. Please join us! Come and see!