Diocese: Diocese of New England
Deanery: Boston Deanery
64 Forrester St
Salem, Massachusetts 01970-4038
Saugus, MA 01906
Peabody, MA 01960
Wenham, MA 01984
Nashua, NH 03063
#1. From Massachusetts Turnpike
Take interstate 95 north (old = 128). Continue on 128 north towards Gloucester. Take exit 25A (114 east, Salem). Follow 114 east into Salem and take a left turn at the second set of lights. Then proceed to next set of lights and make a right, and continue to the end of this street and make a right onto North St (114 east). Continue on this street for about 3 miles until you come to an overpass, and bear right. Before completely crossing the overpass, take a right onto 107 to Beverly. Stay on 107 through a small rotary. You will pass the on the right side Morceny Manry (Elderly housing) and jail. (see #2)
#2. Continuation from (1, 4)
Continue straight on 107 through the blinking lights—it now becomes 1A north. Make a right onto the second street (Webb St) (You were traveling on Bridge St; there are lights at Bridge and Webb Sts, turn right after Centruy 21 Real Estate offices). The seventh street on the right is Forrester St. The Church is on the corner of Forrester and Webb Sts; the domes will be visible on Forrester).
#3) From north on 128
Take exit 25A (Marblehead), then follow instructions as in #1 above.
#4) Coming from all other directions into Salem
Continue on 107 or 1A north to Beverly, then follow directions as in #2.
#5) From Boston and south via Rts 1 or 128
Take Tobin Bridge to Rt 1 north, follow 1 to an exit to route 128 north (Beverly, Gloucester). (Exit is right after Holiday Inn on the right side). Follow 128 north (North Shopping Center will be on the left). Take exit 25 A (Salem) and follow instructions as in #1 above.
Schedule of Services
Services are in English. On the second and fourth Sundays, the choir sings in Slavonic.
6:00 PM Great Vespers.
10:00 AM Divine Liturgy (9:00 AM July through August).
9:00 AM Divine Liturgy (Nativity Liturgy is 10:00 AM).
Mornings of Great Feasts
St Nicholas parish was organized in 1901 by Galician immigrants. In 1906 they petitioned St Tikhon, then Archbishop in North America, to be received into Orthodox Christianity. St Alexander Hotovitzky, at that time a priest in New York, traveled to Salem to accept the parish and offer additional guidance.
The present church building, which was completed in 1908, was restored recently through the generosity of the parishioners. The parish was also fortunate to receive assistance in the restoration project through a grant provided by the Massachusetts Historical Commission.
Faithful recently celebrated the 100th anniversary of their parish September 7-9, 2001. Metropolitan Theodosius presided at the two-day celebration, which culminated in the celebration of the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy. Among those concelebrating were Protopresbyter Robert S Kondratick, OCA Chancellor; Fr Vasily Gilbert, Rector; Fr Vitaly Voshchullo, Retired pastor of the parish; and Fr Michael Westerberg, Chancellor of the Diocese of New England.