Christ the Savior Church Accessible

Southbury, Connecticut

Christ the Savior Church

Founded 1991

Diocese: Diocese of New England

Deanery: Connecticut Deanery

Address

1070 Roxbury Rd
Southbury, Connecticut 06488

http://www.christsaviorchurch.org

Office: 203-267-1330

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. Vladimir Aleandro
Rector
145 Maple Tree Hill Rd
Oxford, CT 06478
Home: 203-267-1330
Rev. J Sergius Halvorsen
Attached
1 Scenic View Drive
Middletown, CT 06457
Home: 860-343-9109

Lay Leadership

Mr. Peter S Kopcha
Choir Director
623 Roxbury Rd
Southbury, CT 06488
Mrs. Suzanne Aleandro
Church School Coordinator

Directions

Local
Christ the Saviour Mission is located at 1070 Roxbury Rd (also known as Rt 67) in Southbury, CT, at the intersection of Rts 172 and 67.

From the west
Tale exit 14 from I-84.  Go north on Rt 172 for 4 1/2 miles, until you reach Rt 67 (there is a 4 way stop intersection).  Turn left on 67, and right into the parking lot.

From the east
Take I-84 to exit 15.  Go north on Rt 67 app. 1 1/2 miles.  You will come to a light, where Rt 67 turns left (west).  Follow 67 to Rt 172 (about 2 miles to a 4 way stop intersection).  Go straight through the intersection, and turn right into the parking lot.

Schedule of Services

6:00 PM Great Vespers (5:00 PM during winter months).
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Sunday Morning

6:30 PM Vesperal Liturgy.
Eves of Great Feasts

6:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, followed by Lenten supper.
Wednesday Evenings in Great Lent

Confessions are heard immediately following Vespers and by appointment.
Confessions

Parish Background

The true spirit of Orthodox Christianity has been witnessed in the development and growth of our mission community.  The following paragraphs give a brief historical account of a few of the many landmark events that have occured over our first few years of our life in the Lord’s Vineyard.

In the spring of 1991, Bishop Job gave his blessing to Fr Michael Koblosh to reactivate exploration of a Mission Station in Southbury.  On June 15, 1991, our fist Divine Liturgy was held in the living room of the Aleandro family in Oxford with Fr Michael presiding.  Two weeks later on June 29, we began to celebrate Great Vespers each Saturday at the Epiphany Episcopal Church in Southbury.

On October 13, 1991, our first Liturgy was held in a newly rented store front in Southbury.  This store front would serve as our home for the next four years.  During this four year period, Vladimir Aleandro was ordained to the Diaconate and Fr Michel was attached as Priest-in-Charge by Bishop Job.

On May 22, 1992, Bishop Job accepted a proposal of the community naming the mission Christ the Savior Orthodox Mission with St Nectarios of Aegina given as the Patron Saint of the Mission’s Chapel.

Later in 1992, Bishop Job celebrated a Lesser Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and led a retreat.

In April of 1993, Metropolitan Theodosius made a pastoral visit to the Mission.  Later that year, Fr Marc Vranes was attached to the mission and later was assigned the duties as Parish Priest as Fr Michael Koblosh was assigned as Rector of Holy Ghost Church in Bridgeport.  In addition to Fr Michael’s deep spiritual commitment to the mission community, Matushka Nadia Koblosh served as our Choir Director from June 1991 through July 1994.

In 1995, Deacon Vladimir Aleandro was ordained to the Priesthood by Metropolitan Theodosius and was assigned as Acting Rector while Fr Marc was attached to Holy Transfiguration in New Haven. In the summer of 1995, the Mission received notification that we would need to vacate our store front premises.  While searching for a new home during the month of October, services were held at St John’s Episcopal Church in Sandy Hook.  In late October, guided by the Holy Spirit and through the community efforts of many parishioners, the Mission relocated to Middle Quarter Mall in Woodbury.

In 1996, Metropolitan Theodosius visited the new facility.  During this visit, the Metropolitan tonsured Anthony Kruge as Reader, and blessed Gregory Curran and Nicholas Aleandro to wear the Sub-Deacon Orarion.  The first two icons of our Iconostas, written by Fr Andrew Tregubov, were also blessed by the Metropolitan during his visit.

In 1997, Metropolitan Theodosius returned to the mission and tonsured Nicholas Solak as Reader.  On January 30, 1998, Reader Anthony Kruge was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by His Beatitude at Three Holy Hierarchs Chapel at St Vladimir’s Seminary.  Early in 1999 two beautiful side panels of Icons written by Fr Andrew Tregubov were added to our Iconostasis.

In December 1999 the parish was gifted a four acre parcel of land for a new church.  In early 2000, the community provided a full compensation package enabling Fr Vladimir to retire from his secular employment effective July 2000.

On February 2, 2003, John Zarras was ordained to the Holy Diaconate by Metropolitan Herman at Three Hierarchs Chapel at St Vladimir’s Seminary, Crestwood, NY.

In November 2003, Bishop Nikon and Fr Michael Koblosh joined us for a very special day.  During Divine Liturgy, Gregory Curran was vested as a subdeacon.  Following Liturgy, we all gathered at the new church site for a beautiful Ground-Breaking service.  Many clergy from Woodbury and Southbury were in attendance.

Our first services in the new church were celebrated on September 4-5, 2004.  During the weekend of June 3-4, the consecration services for the new church were held.  Services were in the presence of and with the blessing of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman, Archbishop of Washington and New York, Metropolitan of All America and Canada; and His Grace, Bishop Nikon of Boston, Administrator of the Diocese of New England.  During the consecration service, Father Vladimir, in recognition of ten years of dedicated service to the Lord as a priest, was awarded the Gold Cross by the Metropolitan, elevating him to Archpriest.

Six sons of our parish have been ordained to the Holy Priesthood and three sons have been ordained to the Diaconate.  All are actively serving in parishes.  In addition, each year we act as a host parish for the Field Experience Program of St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary.

Under the direction of Fr Andrew Tregubov, a plan for Phase II of Iconography for the church is being developed.  Our parish is participating in Natural Church Development, the purpose of which is to assess a parish’s health and to provide tools for growth.  From that, small groups have developed a way to increase fellowship among our members and visitors.

In the five years since our building’s consecration, many new families and individuals have joined our community.  We have been blessed with a wealth of love and spirituality.  We invite you to join us as we grow.