St. John the Baptist Church

Alpha, New Jersey

St. John the Baptist Church

Founded 1916

Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey

Deanery: New Jersey Deanery

Address

1034 2nd Ave
Alpha, New Jersey 08865

http://stjohnsalphaoca.org

Office: 908-454-8676

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. Bohdan Ostash
Acting Rector
Home: 908-454-1553

Lay Leadership

Mr. Jesse Kiefer
Education Coordinator
3431 Country Road
Easton, PA 18045
Home: 610-923-0183

Directions

General Location
St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church is located in west-central New Jersey, across the Delaware River from Easton, PA.

From the East
Exit Route 78 at Phillipsburg, NJ; pass the first traffic light and turn into the jug-handle. Take Route 122 South and turn left at the first traffic light onto Route 519. After traveling .7 mile, turn right onto East Central Avenue. Church is on right at the end of the block!

From the West
Exit Route 22 onto Route 519 South. Turn left at the traffic light, then turn right at the next traffic light. Travel .7 mile and turn right onto East Central Avenue.

Schedule of Services

St John’s is an English-language Community.

7:00 PM Vespers.
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy (Third and Sixth Hours Precede Liturgy at 9:15).
Sunday Morning

6:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
Wednesday & Friday Evenings During Great Lent

7:00 PM Great Vespers.
Eves of Great Feasts

9:15 AM Third Hour and Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts

Parish Background

A Brief History of St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church
- 1916: First Diving Liturgy celebrated by Rev. Stephen Sipayda in a private home on East Central Avenue next to what was to become the rectory.
- 1917: Church structure completed and consecrated by Rt. Rev. Stephen, Bishop of Pittsburgh.
- 1923: Parish entered the Carpatho-Russian Diocese under the Omophorion of Archbishop Adam.
- 1942: The Parish came under the Omophorion of Metropolitan Theophilus

The day-to-day administration of our Parish is the responsibility of our Parish Council which is comprised of the Rector, Warden, Assistant Warden, Treasurer, Secretary, and several other Lay Members of St. John’s Church. The Parish Council also oversees St. John’s Cemetery on Fifth Street, Alpha.

The ‘a cappella’ responses during worship services are under the supervision of our Rector and Choir Director. The Choir is comprised of Members of St. John’s who share their God given talent freely. Attendance at choir practices is encouraged. All worship services are celebrated in the English language.

A time for fellowship, called the ‘agape,’ follows the Divine Liturgy each Sunday. The refreshments are provided by Families who volunteer on a rotating basis. The Church building is cleaned weekly, also by our Families on a rotating voluntary basis.

Our Rector is available 24 hours a day to assist us with our spiritual and other needs. Pastoral visits are made to our elderly and chronically ill Members on a regular basis.

Plans for the future include an ‘Orthodox’ presence at neighboring Colleges.

Saint John’s is comprised of Members who represent a diversity of cultures and ethnicity. It is a typical ‘Orthodox Church in America’ parish that welcomes persons from all backgrounds to “come and see.”