Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey
Deanery: New York State Deanery
53 Baxter St
Binghamton, New York 13905
Vestal, NY 13850
From the West
Take Rt 17 east to Binghamton. Take exit 71 (Airport Rd). At end of exit, turn right. Continue through light and stay on main road. This street becomes Downs Ave. At end of Downs Ave, take a right onto Glenwood Ave. Go 2 blocks and see Baxter St on the left. Continue down Baxter to the very end. Church is on the right.
From the East
Take Rt 17 west into Binghamton. Where Rt 17 and Rt 81 meet and then split, continue on Rt 17 west toward Elmira. Take first exit (Exit 72—Mygatt St). At end of exit make a left under the bridge. At the light, make a right onto Prospect St. Continue on Prospect St until your first left (about 1 mile). Take the left (Holland St) and then the first right (Baxter St). See the Church on the left.
From the North
Take Rt 81 south into Binghamton from Syracuse. Where Rt 17 and Rt 81 meet and then split, take Rt 17 west toward Elmira. Take first exit (Exit 72—Mygatt St). At end of exit make a left under the bridge. At the light, make a right onto Prospect St. Continue on Prospect St until your first left (about 1 mile). Take the left (Holland St) and then the first right (Baxter St). See the Church on the left.
From the South
Take Rt 81 north into Binghamton from Scranton. Where Rt 17 and Rt 81 meet and then split, take Rt 17 west toward Elmira. Take first exit (Exit 72—Mygatt St). At end of exit make a left under the bridge. At the light, make a right onto Prospect St. Continue on Prospect St until your first left (about 1 mile). Take the left (Holland St) and then the first right (Baxter St). See the Church on the left.
Schedule of Services
6:00 PM Great Vespers (7:00 PM from Memorial Day to Labor Day).
9:00 AM Hours, Divine Liturgy, Fellowship.
6:00 PM to 7:30 PM Church School Classes (from mid-September through mid-May).
7:00 PM Great Vespers.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
6:00 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts; Lenten Meal; Adult Education.
Wednesday Evenings in Great Lent
7:00 PM Akathist.
Friday Evenings in Great Lent
Confessions are available at Saturday Evening Vespers or by Appointment. Common Confession follows Vespers on the first Saturday of the month.
Please call the Rectory at 607-797-1058 for schedule of other services, or to arrange Baptisms, Marriages, Memorials, etc.
[Will appear after all other details]
The Dormition Church was founded by Russian Orthodox people from Galicia, emigrees from a Carpathian Mountain region north of present-day Czechoslovakia.
Finding no Orthodox parish in Binghamton, and experiencing tensions within Byzantine Rite Uniate parishes that they visited, a handful of these emigrees met to form a new Orthodox parish.
Fr Borisoff, the rector of the neighboring Endicott parish, contacted Archbishop Evdokim Mischersky about the potential new parish, and he, in turn, assigned Fr Elias Barna. In addition, the parish council had obtained a Certificate of Incorporation signed both by George Bakhmeteff, Ambassador of Russia to the United States, and Michael Oustinoff, Consul General of Russia to the United States. The consent of these 2 Russian dignitaries was necessary because the Dormition Church would be governed ultimately by the Patriarchate of Moscow and would be supported as a mission parish by the Russian Government.
The first service was held on Pascha by Fr Elias in a home of a parish member on March 22, 1915.
Land for the new church and cemetary was purchased. Bishop Alexander Nemolovsky consecrated the land in September, 1915. The actual construction of the church began in November of that year. With the Church basement completed in January 1916, the church services were moved from parishioner homes to the basement. The church construction was completed in October 1916, and was consecrated in November 1916 by Bishop Peter Kiekanik and Bishop Stephen Dzubay. An estimated crowd of 750 were in attendance for this celebration.
It became evident that the new emigrees were finding it difficult in adjusting to life in America. Fr Elias took a keen interest in the social welfare of the parishioners. He urged the establishment of a mutual-aid society and a reading room. These provided aid to the emigrees and helped them become literate.
Over the years parish events multiplied. Parish plays, carolling at Christmas, and Russian School for the youngsters became parish traditions. A small hall was built from the wood of a torn-down building. Parish sponsored dinners were held in the new hall to raise money to support the parish.
In 1927, the Church decided to re-incorporate to prevent the property on Baxter St from being claimed by the Bolsheviks during the Revolution. During these chaotic times, however, much and varied work was done particularly by parish organizations. St Mary’s sisterhood held dinners to contribute toward church and hall furnishings. St Ann’s Guild not only funded Church improvements byt also aided immigrants in settlement on American soil; it later also provided scholarships to high school students. The local “R” Club functioned to bind Orthodox Christians together socially and support the newly formed church.
In the 1930, under the tenure of Very Rev Michael Perhach, an iconostas was erected and murals were painted on the ceiling of the Church. Stained glass windows were added under the pastorate of Rev Simeon Nemetz. Under the leadership of Very Rev Alexander Pogrebniak, a new hall was erected in 1949. Major structural expansion of the Church took place under Fr Peter Bohush.
During the next 50 years to the present time, energy was directed toward the upbuilding of the liturgical, educational, and ministerial life of the parish. During the tenure of Fr John Klembara, eucharistic renewal began. Fr Boris Vlasenko instituted the practice of Common Confession. Also during his tenure, Lee (Valerian) Dzury was ordained to the Diaconate and served the parish for 17 years in this capacity. With the blessing of Fr Boris, Deacon Valerian established a Bible Study. A hospital visitation group (Sunshine Group) also began to minister to the sick and home-bound during this time.
Under the pastorate of Fr Myron Manzuk, an increased number of parish members became frequent communicants. Saturday Evening Vespers attendance increased, as well. It was during this time that the parish began to celebrate Paschal Matins and Liturgy at midnight.
Regular Sunday communion has become the norm for the majority of the parish community. The Church School program was revamped and moved to Monday evenings. A stream of catechumens, as well as Orthodox Christians from Ethiopia, Russia, and Romania have come into the church making the parish a very diverse group.
Michael Soroka, the new choir director, has continued building the Pan-Orthodox Choir, and has concurrently expanded a reader’s program in the parish. Periodically, congregational singing can be heard at Sunday Liturgy. Charitable and social programs have become fixed events in the parish.
Please come and worship with us when you are passing through.