Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey
Deanery: New York State Deanery
305 Main Rd
East Herkimer, New York 13350-9605
Rome, NY 13440
From east or west
NY State Thruway, exit at Herkimer. Follow signs for 5 east, through the village of Herkimer. Proceed over the West Canada Creek and up the hill. The Church is on the left at the top of the hill.
From the south
Follow Route 28 north until you get to Route 5 east. Go through the village of Herkimer. Proceed over the West Canada Creek and up the hill. The Church is on the left at the top of the hill.
Schedule of Services
All services are in English.
4:00 PM Vespers.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Great Vespers: Phone for schedule.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
Like many other older Orthodox parishes in America which were formed in the early part of the 20th century, Saints Peter and Paul Parish in Herkimer has its roots in immigrants from Slavic countries who arrived and settled, in this case, the Mohawk Valley of upstate New York. The seeds for the church were sown by 25 Russian and Carpatho-Russians who organized the parish. The first service was held in an Episcopal Church in December 1916, by Father Peter Halkowich, who was appointed the first pastor of the parish by Metropolitan Platon.
In 1921, under the pastorate of Father Nicholas Hubiak, the concept of a permanent church structure was created. It was to be built next to the parish home on Steele St. This project was approved by the bishop and a great deal of the construction was done by the members themselves. In July of 1925, the dream became a reality with the consecration of the church building by Archbishop Platon. Father Paul Lisok served the parish as rector during this period.
The parish struggled through this country’s most trying time, the Great Depression. In 1933, the parish decided to purchase a plot of land in East Herkimer to be used as a cemetery. It was consecrated by Metropolitan Theophil on August 9, 1936. At that same time, the parish celebrated its twentieth anniversary.
During the ensuing years the parish continued to grow with the addition of new families. This progress continued for many years as the church “grew and waxed strong.”
During the early 1960s it became apparent that the church building on Steele Street was much too small for the increasing number of parishioners. Thanks to the leadership and foresight of a very progressive church committee, led by Father Theodore Kondratick and President Paul Sokol, a proposal for the building of a new church was presented to the parish on March 31, 1963. Metropolitan Leonty gave his blessing to the parish for this momentous undertaking. Ground was broken on May 24, 1964, at the new site on the top of a hill in East Herkimer, approximately 1 mile from the former church structure. The breathtaking view from atop the hill and its easy accessibility made it an ideal location for the new church. The new building was to be a combination of Byzantine and contemporary architectural styles designed by Myron Jordan and built by Louis Cassella. The new house of worship, built to the Glory of God, was consecrated on August 1, 1965 by Archbishop Nikon.
Undoubtedly, the church is an eye catching sight as one travels along the waterways and roadways of the historic Mohawk valley. It is still an occurrence for travellers to stop to take photos of the morning sun reflecting off the golden domes and crosses.
As in the past, our parishioners rallied to support financially the building of a new church. Many individuals and families bought ‘bonds’ to help reduce the mortgage. With hard work and dedication, in February of 1967, the parish repaid the last bond.
Shortly thereafter, a new need arose. The residence next to the new church was not adequate for the needs of the rector. Although the mortgage for the new church was only very recently paid, a decision to proceed with the construction for a new rectory was accepted. Under the direction of Father Dimitri Oselinsky and President William Homyk, construction of the new rectory was begun on July 25, 1971. The rectory mortgage was paid off on September 21, 1980.
In the ensuing years, the parish has undertaken several other projects to enhance their church: new roofs for the church and rectory, interior cleaning and painting, exterior brick repairs to the bell tower, and new carpeting were some of the projects undertaken in time for the 75th anniversary in 1991. Other projects included the replating of all gold and brass articles in the church and the installation of an elevator.
We gratefully acknowledge the pastorate of Archpriest James Jadick (Ch. Lt. Col, 9018 ARS Denver, CO), who led our parish for 24 years.
One of the most memorable undertakings for our parish has been the tireless effort of a group who for more than two years toiled diligently to amass more than 7500 recipes from parish members. This labor of love resulted in the most surprisingly successful cookbook. More than 700 pages and countless recipes along with ethnic, religious, and items of special interest fill the book. Our own parishioner, Anne Anthony, accomplished all of the artwork. It has been so successful that the first 1000 copies were sold in one week. They have been distributed throughout the 50 states and more than 15 countries! There are still copies available for purchase.
One of the greatest aspects of our parish is the renewed dedication of the people on a whole, to the betterment of their Christian life. The greatest area of improvement has been with our children, their parents and the church school. We have truly been blessed with bright and pious children, parents, and teachers. New members of our parish have been a blessing to our spiritual life, as they have brought with them a refreshing new outlook and spiritual dedication to support God’s Holy Church and His work. The unity and love for God and each other of the members of our parish remains the strongest asset of Saints Peter and Paul Church.
Glory to God!
When visiting the Mohawk Valley area, please stop and pray with us. Visitors are always welcome.