Holy Trinity Church Accessible

Rahway, New Jersey

Holy Trinity Church

Founded 1968

Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey

Deanery: New Jersey Deanery

Address

830 Jefferson Ave
Rahway, New Jersey 07065

http://www.orthodoxrahway.org

Office: 732-574-1234

Parish Contacts

Rev. Thaddeus Franta
Rector
Home: 732-388-5107

Lay Leadership

Mr. & Mrs. Peter Warhollick
Lay Contact
Home: 908-925-8176

Directions

Garden State Parkway from the south
Take exit 131 (not 131A or 131B) to the traffic light.  Make a left and proceed 4-5 miles to the end (St George Ave).  Take a left onto Hazelwood Ave (Dunkin Donuts is on the corner).  Turn left and go 1 block.

Garden State Parkway from the north
Exit 135 (Clark).  Bear to the left around the circle.  About halfway around the circle make a right and towards the left—making a left onto Westfield Ave.  After 2 traffic lights, make a right onto Jefferson Ave.  The Church is straight ahead on the corner of Hazelwood Ave.

Schedule of Services

7:00 PM Vespers
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy
Sunday Morning

7:00 PM Vespers.
Eves of Great Feasts

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy
Mornings of Great Feasts

Please call for additional information and scheduling of other services, or to arrange Baptisms, Marriages, Memorials, Thanksgiving Services, etc.
[Will appear after all other details]

Parish Background

The first Orthodox parish in Rahway was organized in 1916 as part of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in America, later more commonly known as the “Metropolia.”  That parish, which is still in existence and thriving isknown as St John the Baptist Orthodox Church.  In 1967, a second parish came into existence—Holy Trinity Orthodox Church.  They first met on December 10, 1967.  In 1968, the small community moved from Colona Civic Improvement Club to the U.A.W. Hall in Clark, and then to the Abraham Clark School in the same town, where Sunday services were held for the next ten years. Feast days and events (baptisms, weddings, funerals, etc) were held at Holy Comforter Episcopal Church in Rahway. A rectory was purchased in 1969, and then in 1978 a permanent parish home was established with the purchase of the current building in Rahway.

Our first priest, Fr Theophil Krehel fell asleep in the Lord on January 16, 1987.  He was followed by Fr Peter Telencio, who was also a US Army Chaplain at Fort Monmouth.  Fr Peter was an interim pastor until Fr John Jillions was assigned in October 1987.  He was just returning to the US after serving a parish in Brisbane, Australia for three years. Holy Trinity Church celebrated its 25th Anniversary in September, 1992.  After almost seven years as pastor, Fr Jillions moved to Greece with his family in August, 1994 to continue his education at the University of Thessaloniki. Fr Witalis Suszczenia then served the parish until 2008.  Fr James Worthington arrived in late 2010 with his wife and children, and is working to make the parish a home for all who are looking for a closer relationship with Jesus Christ in the traditional Orthodox faith.

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church is home to a wide variety of ethnicities ñ all of which are striving to become truly American.  In the community are people of Russian, Belorussian, Romanian, Irish, Italian and English ancestry.  The parish is striving to live the Orthodox life and traditions while maintaining an understanding of the Great Commission of Jesus Christ to proclaim the Gospel to all nations, and to our neighbors.