Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey
Deanery: New Jersey Deanery
812 Grand St
Trenton, New Jersey 08610
Jackson, NJ 08527
Florence, NJ 08518
Trenton, NJ 08611
St Vladimir’s Church is located in Trenton, New Jersey, the capitol of New Jersey, approximately half way between New York City and Philadelphia.
From the north
Take the NJ Turnpike south to exit 7A and take Rt 195 west. When Rt 195 joins with the 295, follow signs to Trenton via Rts 129 and 29. Take the Rt 29 exit. In Trenton, take the first right, which is Lalor St, turning right onto Lalor. When you see Gallagher’s on the right, take the first left, which is Dayton St. Just past the big middle school, turn right on Grand St. The church is at the next corner (Grand and Stanton).
Take Rt 95 north to the Rt 1 Bypass towards Morrisville and follow Rt 1 into Trenton, staying in the right lane on the bridge. Take the exit right after the bridge onto Rt 29 south. At the light, turn left (John Fitch Way/NJ 29). Take exit for Lalor St. When you see Gallagher’s on the right, take the first left, which is Dayton St. Just past the big middle school, turn right onto Grand St. The Church is at the next corner (Grand and Stanton).
From the west
Take Rt 31 south to Rt 95 (towards Pennsylvania). Just before the river, take Rt 29 south into Trenton. After passing the State House, look for Lalor St, which is the third light, and turn left onto Lalor St. When you see Gallagher’s on the right, take the first left, which is Dayton St. Just past the big middle school, turn right onto Grand St. The Church is at the next corner (Grand and Stanton).
Schedule of Services
Services are conducted mainly in English, with some occasional Slavonic interspersed throughout.
6:00 PM Great Vespers followed by Absolution and Confession.
9:00 AM Church School; 9:40 Hours; 10:00 AM Divine Liturgy. Fellowship in Daria Hall following Liturgy. From June through August, 8:40 AM Hours and 9:00 AM Divine Liturgy followed by fellowship in Daria Hall.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy (MEMORIAL SATURDAYS).
7:00 PM Great Vespers with Litiya.
Eves of Great Feasts falling on work days
9:10 Hours; 9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
6:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts preceded by Confessions.
Wednesday Evenings in Great Lent
9:30 AM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts preceded by Confessions.
Friday Mornings in Great Lent
Please contact the Rectory for schedule of services for Great Lent, Nativity Fast, as well as if you would like to have use of the church or Daria Hall or to arrange Baptisms, Marriages, Moliebens, Panahydas, Funerals.
[Will appear after all other details]
The founding of St Vladimir’s parish began in October, 1915, when a group of approximately 30 Russian immigrants met and decided to organize a Russian Orthodox parish. At first the Divine Liturgy was served in a vacant church, but as the congregation grew the parishioners decided to build a church of their own using traditional Orthodox architecture. They bought a parcel of land near the vacant church they had been using, and, to save money, the parishioners dug out the land for the basement and foundation with their own hands. In 1917 the church building was completed and consecrated and in 1918 the parish was incorporated in the state of New Jersey. During that same year, another tract of land was purchased to serve as the parish cemetery. Firmly established, the parish continued to grow and prosper despite the strife and political changes in Russia that continued to affect the lives and morale of the parishioners.
In 1926 Fr Vladimir Lilikovich became pastor and during his five years of service the parish took on new life. A parochial school was established and in 1927 the Sisterhood of the Assumption of the Theotokos was organized. In 1932 Fr Stakhy Borichevsky became pastor, an office he held until 1949 when he was succeeded by Fr Paul Shafran. Fr Paul served until 2002, when he was granted retirement and named Pastor Emeritus. Fr. Jason Vansuch is the current parish priest. He follows his father, Archpriest Eugene Vansuch, who was assigned to the parish on January 1,2008 and served for three months until his enexpected falling asleep in the Lord on March 23, 2008. May his memory be eternal.
In 1942 the parish built a two-story rectory and in 1947 additional land was purchased to expand the cemetery and another two lots were bought adjoining the rectory on Grand St. In 1951, the growing parish made it necessary to enlarge the church building. After the enlargement was completed a new iconostasis was installed and the interior of the building was renovated. A decision was made to adorn the interior walls with Byzantine iconography and Mr Pimen Sofronov was hired to design and execute the frescoes. After completing his work at SS Peter and Paul Church in Syracuse, NY, Mr Sofronov arrived in Trenton in 1954 and began his work with the Icon of Christ for the Iconostasis. After working day and night for two years, Mr Sophronov completed the magnificent frescoes in 1956.
As the parish continued to thrive and grow it became clear that a church hall was needed to accommodate its educational and social activities. In 1959 Mr Feodor Bonderchuk donated a corner plot of land next to the church in memory of his daughter, Daria. A few years later, a building fund drive was held and the hall was built. Daria Hall was dedicated on November 22, 1964. Another large and unexpected gift of land was received in 1965 when Mr Pater Taskewicz donated more than ten acres of land in Hamilton Sqquare to be used as a recreation area in memory of his wife, Nadja. Several men of the parish, led by Mr John Chanchevsky, built a large picnic pavilion of steel. In 1997 the picnic grounds were the site of the parish’s first carnival, held on May 21-24.