Diocese: Diocese of the South
Deanery: Appalachian Deanery
1261 York Road
Clarksville, Tennessee 37042-6806
From I-24 Exit 4
From exit 4 (Wilma Rudolph): Head south on 79 and merge onto Rt 374 (Warfield blvd/101st) heading North/West for 10.9 miles. Turn left onto 79 north (Dover Road); travel 0.4 miles to the stop light, Liberty Church Road, and turn right. Continue approx. 1 mile to a stop sign and turn right onto York Road. 1261 is the 2nd property on the right and has a white fence.
Schedule of Services
6:00 PM Vespers.
9:55 AM Third and Sixth Hours; 10:15 AM Divine Liturgy followed by fellowship and Church School.
6:30 PM Vespers followed by supper and catechumen/inquirer class.
6:00 PM Akathist to the Theotokos.
Protection of the Holy Virgin Mary is a mission of the Diocese of the South, and the only Orthodox community or institution serving the people of Montgomery County in North-Central Tennessee. Several parish families reside some 25 miles north over the KY border; most reside within the borders of the greater Clarksville area. Most parishioners are relative newcomers to Tennessee, which is not atypical of this military town with a small university situated at its historic core.
The mission in Clarksville grew out of a military ministry to Orthodox Christians located at Fort Campbell, KY off and on since 1976 and most recently from 1997 to 2008. Through the years Orthodox Service Members and their families gathered as a faith community at Fort Campbell, KY and received pastoral, priestly ministry from the Orthodox Army chaplains assigned there. With no permanent Orthodox presence in this part of the country for three hours driving north, west and south, the community determined to move from the military installation and plant as a mission in Clarksville, TN; the neighboring metropolitan area home to Fort Campbell. In August 2008, the community leased a spacious and dignified A-frame chapel connected to the Grace Lutheran Church on the Madison Street thoroughfare, some three miles from historic downtown Clarksville.
The parishioners of Protection parish are mostly converts, some native to the general area but many transplants from other parts of the country. Some are active and retired military. Many have come to Orthodoxy from Protestant backgrounds and some are Orthodox from their youth.
Established on the ‘frontier’ of Orthodoxy in this largely-Baptist region, we are challenged to present an expression of Christ’s Holy Church in its fullness in the face of a highly secularized, yet self-consciously religious social environment. May God continue to bless this vineyard which He has planted with His hand and establish it. We welcome all newcomers and visitors warmly and invite all to participate in the life-giving sacrifice of Christ by joining our community of worship and holy struggle.