St. Luke Church Accessible

Mc Lean, Virginia

St. Luke Church

Founded 1962

Diocese: Archdiocese of Washington, D.C.

Deanery: Washington, DC Deanery

Address

6801 Georgetown Pike
PO Box 1015
Mc Lean, Virginia 22101

http://www.stlukemclean.org

Office: 703-893-1759

Parish Contacts

Rev. John Vitko
Rector
6220 Loch Raven Dr
McLean, VA 22101
Rev. Dn. Patrick Gariano Jr
Attached
15883 Cliffbrook Ct
Dumfries, VA 22025
Home: 703-680-7819

Lay Leadership

Ms. Alexia Kolias
Choir Director
Mrs. Anne Gariano
Church School Coordinator

Directions

General Location
St Luke Church is located in the Washington DC suburbs approximately 3 miles west of the city inside the Capitol Beltway.  Visitors and inquirers are welcome.

From Rt 495—Capitol Beltway
Take Exit 44—Route 193 east to Georgetown Pike towards Langley.  Go 1 mile (pass St Luke Catholic Church).  St Luke is on the corner of Georgetown Pike and Douglas Dr.  Entrances are on both streets, ample parking.  Main entrances to chapel and hall are from the driveway circle.

From George Washington Memorial Parkway
Exit at 123—Chain Bridge Rd.  Take Rt 123 south to Dolly Madison Blvd towards McLean.  Go 1 mile (passing CIA).  Turn right onto Rt 193 west—Georgetown Pike.  Go 1.5 miles to St Luke on the left at the corner of Georgetown Pike and Douglas Drive.  (Enter as above)

Schedule of Services

10:30 AM Divine Liturgy. English with some Slavonic.
Sunday Morning

7:00 PM Vespers followed by Orthodoxy 201 class.
Wednesday Evening

For schedule for Lenten, Paschal and Feast Day and other special services please consult the St. Luke website at stlukemclean.org
[Will appear after all other details]

Parish Background

Our parish, Saint Luke Serbian Orthodox Church, was founded in 1961 as a parish of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the Chapel of the American University in Washington on March 16, 1961. Following the arrival of our priest, Father Milorad Milosevich, in August 1962, Liturgy was celebrated weekly at the Washington National Cathedral in the Chapel of St. Joseph of Arimathea, and later in the Resurrection Chapel.

In November 1971, a five-acre plot of land was purchased at the intersection of Georgetown Pike and Douglass Drive in McLean, Virginia. Many hours of hard work by dedicated volunteers transformed the property into an eye-catching wooded park. The construction of the church-hall complex began in 1976, and was completed and dedicated in October 1977

In March 1981, a resolution was passed that our parish apply for membership in the Orthodox Church in America. The parish was received into the OCA later that same year.

Today our parish is widespread geographically, partly transient, and includes members from a wide range of backgrounds, including a growing number of converts to Orthodoxy. We continue to grow, both numerically and spiritually, through an ongoing list of activities. Sunday Divine Liturgy is followed by a coffee hour in our social hall. In addition to special Feast Day services, Vespers are held on Wednesday evenings. Education includes Sunday School classes after Liturgy as well as a weekly adult Christian study group as applicable.  The Prayer Group prays daily for needs submitted to them by parishioners and others who desire spiritual support. The St. Luke Choir sings responses at liturgical services. The St. Luke Sisterhood serves the parish and the community spiritually and through good works. The Charity Outreach Committee takes our parish even further into the surrounding community. Parish publications include a weekly Sunday bulletin.