Nativity of the Theotokos Church

Madera, Pennsylvania

Nativity of the Theotokos Church

Founded 1909

Diocese: Archdiocese of Western Pennsylvania

Deanery: Altoona-Johnstown Deanery

Mailing address:

c/o PO Box 158
Irvona, PA 16656

Parish Contacts

Igumen David (Lewis)
Rector
PO Box 158
Irvona, PA 16656
Home: 814-672-3846

Lay Leadership

Mr. Raymond A Mandell
Choir Director
203 Blanchard
Osceola Mills, PA 16666
Home: 814-339-6396

Directions

General Location
Nativity of the Theotokos Church in Madera, PA is located between Clearfield and Altoona on Route 53.

From I-80
Take exit 19 at Clearfield and follow the same routh until Rt 153 exits, then follow directions to Madera.  Located on the hill as you enter town, it is easy to miss coming from the north, but easily spotted when coming from the south.

Schedule of Services

Services alternate with St Michael the Archangel Church, Irvona, PA.  Call the parish house at 814-672-3846 to confirm schedule of services.

6:00 PM Vespers and Confessions.
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy with Hours preceding.
Sunday Morning

7:00 PM Great Vespers and Litiya.
Eves of Great Feasts

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts

Parish Background

St Mary’s was founded in 1909 by a group which were originally Unitates.  Most of these were people who came from the area of Austria and Galitia.  They built a stone church by their own hard labor, and filled the church in the early years.  Among the groups were a band of musicians who provided music for the activities of the parish; a strong men’s club, and a large choir.  As the mining industry began to give way and the other occupations dwindled in the area, the young people have moved away from the area, affecting all of the churches in the area.

There are many items in the church which have historical interest, some having been given by the Tsar and the Tsar’s Missionary Society.  The bells of the parish have a beautiful tone.

The parish cemetery is located on the top of the hill, in a wooded grove, and is well maintained by the members of the parish.