St. Michael Church

Irvona, Pennsylvania

St. Michael Church

Founded 1916

Diocese: Archdiocese of Western Pennsylvania

Deanery: Altoona-Johnstown Deanery

Mailing address:

PO Box 158
Irvona, PA 16656

Parish Contacts

Igumen David (Lewis)
Rector
PO Box 158
Irvona, PA 16656
Home: 814-672-3846

Lay Leadership

Mr. Raymond A Mandell
Choir Director
203 Blanchard
Osceola Mills, PA 16666
Home: 814-339-6396

Directions

General Location
St Michael’s is located in Irvona, PA, approximately halfway between Clearfield and Altoona.

From I-80
Take exit 19, Clearfield.  Follow the same road south until 153 exits, then follow it to Madera, then pick up Rt 53 and follow it south to Irvona.  Church signs will direct to the church located on Hemlock St.

Schedule of Services

Services alternate with Nativity of the Theotokos Church, Madera, PA.  Call the parish house at 814-672-3846 to confirm schedule of services.

6:00 PM Vespers and Confessions.
Saturday Evening

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy with Hours preceding.
Sunday Morning

7:00 PM Great Vespers and Litiya.
Eves of Great Feasts

9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts

Parish Background

St Michael Church was founded by a group of Russian people who had come to central Pennsylvania to work in the coal mines.  The original location of the church was a few miles away, but following a fire, the present location was chosen and a church erected on the site in 1919.  The building was also destroyed by fire in 1927 and the present structure was built.

The parish was founded in 1916.  Many of the members walked long distances on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as Feast Days to attend Church.  Many walked up to, and over, ten miles, through woods and over the mountains, to attend the services in their faithful love of the Church.  This same devotion draws a large percentage of the congregation to attend every time there is a service held.

The parish is noted for the fine food which is served at their dinners.

A well maintained cemetery is located not far from the church, and provides a beautiful location for the faithful departed to be laid to rest.