St. Andrew Church

Lyndora, Pennsylvania

St. Andrew Church

Founded 1906

Diocese: Archdiocese of Western Pennsylvania

Deanery: Allegheny-Beaver Valley Deanery

Address

201 Penn Ave
Lyndora, Pennsylvania 16045

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

http://www.saintandrewlyndora.org

Church: 724-285-6010

Parish Contacts

V. Rev. Joseph Wargo
Rector
128 Graham Dr
Renfrew, PA 16053
Home: 724-789-7660
Rev. Dn. Seraphim Truckley
Attached
449 Marwood Rd
Cabot, PA 16023
Home: 724-352-4983

Lay Leadership

Mr. Ron Uram
Lay Contact
Mr. James Wargo
Choir Director

Directions

General Location
We are located just outside the City of Butler.  Please follow the directions listed below.

From the north
Take Route 8 south into the City of Butler.  Continue following Route 8 south through Butler city and go across the bridge leaving the city of Butler.  Continue following Route 8 south by going straight through the traffic light at the end of the bridge.  Travel for approx. 1 mile and bear left at the “Y” towards Lyndora.  Turn right across the bridge onto Hansen Ave.  At the traffic light at the end of the bridge, turn left onto Whitestown Rd.  On Whitestown, take the first left onto Chesapeake St.  At the first stop sign, bear right onto Main St.  Toward the top of the hill on the left is the church.  Parking is available on the street or in the lot above the church.

From the Pennsylvania Turnpike (south)
Take the Butler Valley exit #39 (old exit 4).  Merge onto Route 8 North heading towards Butler.  Travel north on Route 8 for approx. 16.5 miles. You will pass thru a total of 14 traffic lights. At the next traffic light, turn left across the bridge onto Hansen Ave.  At the traffic light at the end of the bridge, turn left onto Whitestown Rd.  On Whitestown, take the
first left onto Chesapeake St.  At the first stop sign, bear right onto Main St.  Toward the top of the hill on the left is the church.  Parking is available on the street or in the lot above the church.

From Pittsburgh (south)
Take Route 28 north to Route 8 north.  Go north on Route 8 for 9.5 miles, past the Pennsylvania Turnpike, heading towards Butler.  Continue north on Route 8 for approx. 16.5 miles. You will pass thru a total of 14 traffic lights from the Turnpike exit. At the next traffic light, turn left across the bridge onto Hansen Ave.  At the traffic light at the end of the bridge, turn left onto Whitestown Rd.  On Whitestown, take the first left onto Chesapeake St.  At the first stop sign, bear right onto Main St.  Toward the top of the hill on the left is the church.  Parking is available on the street or in the lot above the church.

From Route 422
Take the Route 8 south exit off of Route 422.  Take Route 8 south into the City of Butler.  Continue following Route 8 south through Butler city and go across the bridge leaving the city of Butler.  Continue following Route 8 south by going straight through the traffic light at the end of the bridge.  Travel for approx. 1 mile and bear left at the “Y” towards Lyndora.  Turn right across the bridge onto Hansen Ave.  At the traffic light at the end of the bridge, turn left onto Whitestown Rd.  On Whitestown, take the first left onto Chesapeake St.  At the first stop sign, bear right onto Main St.  Toward the top of the hill on the left is the church.  Parking is available on the street or in the lot above the church.

Schedule of Services

6:00 PM Vespers followed by Confessions.
Saturday Evening

10:00 AM Divine Liturgy (9:30 AM from June through August) followed by coffee hour in the church hall.
Sunday Morning

6:00 PM Vespers
Eves of Great Feasts

9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.  Feast Days falling on Sundays follow the regular Sunday schedule.
Mornings of Great Feasts

Confessions are heard following Saturday Vespers.
Confessions

Parish Background

St. Andrew Orthodox Church, like many Orthodox churches in North America, traces its origin to the massive influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe to Pennsylvania in the early twentieth century. Most founders of St. Andrew had come from the Western portion of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Religious freedom as well as economic opportunity motivated many in the move. Originally, most had been farmers, but in the new world coal mines and steel mills provided employment.

In 1906, the Russian Mission sent Rev. Philip Sradanovich to serve the Orthodox faithful of Lyndora. Eventually, in 1914 the Russian Orthodox of Lyndora laid the cornerstone for the present church on Penn Avenue.

From the records of church meetings in the early years, one can learn at least some of the names of the founders of the parish. These include:  Ignatius Budrevish, Michael Savochka, Michael Moroz, Ivan Hollak, Sam Musko, Thomas Merlak, Theodore Blisak, Andronik Shajnovich, Wasil Fecich, Zenovy Prichodko, Yevdokim Gulevich, Harry Sukovach, Stephen Berdey, John Blisak, Ivan Pavlukovich, Luka Homich, Paul Voytulevich, Theodore Feloniuk, Mark Dubik, Theodore Hollock, Haryy Kraustock, Klem Lokovich, Ivan Sverdeskie, Sergius Sawchuk, and Wasyl Turach.

The influenza epidemic of 1917-1919 took a toll on parishioners. The depression following the First World War brought hardship. Nevertheless, mortgage payments on the church were met. In 1934, the Russian Orthodox Youth club was organized to assist the church, financially and through work projects.

In 1936, the Sisterhood of the Altar was established for the purpose of beautifying the church and caring for liturgical objects. Over the next seventy years, the Sisterhood would become important for its fund-raising activities such as bake sales, candy making and peroghi making.

In 1940, Sunday School was established for the instruction of young people in the Orthodox faith. Beginning in the 1950s, the English language was gradually introduced and came to replace Church Slavonic in liturgical services.

In 1976, our church altar was consecrated with relics of St. Herman, the Wonderworker of Alaska and America. Later that year, Fr. Joseph Wargo was assigned as a new priest for St. Andrew Orthodox Church. This year Father Wargo will celebrate thirty years with the parish.

Our goal as a church is to be steadfast in fulfilling Christ’s commandment to “Go into all the world and make disciples of all Nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all [things that He has] commanded” (Matthew 28:19) so that all people may be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, and to be faithful to the tradition of the Holy Orthodox Church.  We work to achieve our goal both as an individual church, as well as by joining in pan-Orthodox unity with our sister churches in the Butler area, SS Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church and St Anthony Antiochian Orthodox Church to undertake projects to benefit the community and to show the spirit of Orthodox Christianity in love and fellowship.