Saint Philip of Sukhona was a hermit on Mt. Yankov, on the left bank of the Sukhona River, two versts from the city of Ustiug. The Ustiug inhabitants built a monastery at the place of his ascetic deeds, so as to learn monastic life under his guidance.
In the year 1654, they built a church in honor of the Mother of God “Of the Sign,” with a chapel in the name of St Philip, Metropolitan of Moscow. Brethren soon gathered. St Philip, while refusing no one his guidance, would not, in his humility, accept the office of igumen. He died at the monastery as a simple monk on August 17, 1662.