The mission and focus of the Department of Christian Education is the support of church school teachers, clergy, families and others engaged in faith formation for every age level. Serving with the blessing and guidance of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah and the Holy Synod of Bishops of The Orthodox Church in America, this department provides a variety of services including:
- Web-based study units consisting of age-appropriate lesson plans and activities.
- Workshops for church school teachers and staff.
- Training in the use of the available curriculum and resources.
- Articles offering timely educational information published in the official newspaper of the Orthodox Church in America, The Orthodox Church.
- Review and recommendation of educational resources.
- Production of resources for parish use.
- Downloadable weekly parish bulletin inserts.
In addition, the department provides periodic mailings of materials to further support and enhance parish teaching ministries. Working in conjunction with other Church Ministries departments the department also provides educational units of study and activities on topic and theme-related subjects.
The Department provides consultant services in areas of curriculum development, special education needs and other related areas of education and training.
The Department works in cooperation with the Orthodox Christian Education Commission (OCEC), a pan-Orthodox agency under the auspices of the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops (SCOBA); it is represented on the OCEC’s Board of Trustees, and works in conjunction with the OCEC on a variety of projects including:
development of curriculum materials,
- informational and teacher training workshops, and
- projects related to Orthodox Christian education.
For more information
The Department welcomes your input and comments. Contact us to ask questions or offer comments and suggestions for further educational projects. We are here to serve you as educators in Christ’s Holy Church, and hope to be of service where needed.
Episcopal Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops
Orthodox Christian Education Commission [OCEC]