His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman, Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, will celebrate the Great Canon of Saint Andrew of Crete on Monday, March 10, 2003, the first day of Great Lent, at Saint Vladimir Orthodox Theological Seminary, Crestwood, NY. Earlier the same day, he will celebrate the Sixth Hour and the Rite of Forgiveness at Saint Sergius Chapel at the OCA Chancery here.
Metropolitan Herman will also celebrate the Great Canon and other services marking the first week of Great Lent at Saint Tikhon Monastery and Seminary, South Canaan, PA.
On Saturday and Sunday, March 15 and 16, Metropolitan Herman will celebrate the Vigil and Divine Liturgy of Orthodoxy Sunday at Saint Nicholas Cathedral, Washington, DC. Vigil begins at 5pm on Saturday and Divine Liturgy begins at 9:30am on Sunday. His Beatitude will preside at the Triumph of Orthodoxy Vespers at Saint Mary Church, Coaldale, PA later in the day.
Other highlights of Metropolitan Herman’s Lenten schedule include
• Vigil and Divine Liturgy on Saturday and Sunday, March 22 and 23, at Holy Trinity Cathedral, Boston, MA.
• The celebration of the Great Feast of the Annunciation at Saint Tikhon Monastery, South Canaan, PA on Tuesday, March 25.
• Divine Liturgy at Holy Trinity Church, Yonkers, NY on Sunday, March 30.
• The Spring Session of the Holy Synod of Bishops at the OCA Chancery Monday, March 31 through Thursday, April 3.
• Great Vespers at Holy Resurrection Church, Wayne, NJ on Saturday, March 5 and the Divine Liturgy at Holy Trinity Church, Randolph, NJ the following morning.
• Divine Liturgy at Three Saints Church, Ansonia, CT on Sunday, April 13, with the celebration of a Deanery-wide Holy Unction Service later that afternoon in the same church.
Metropolitan Herman will celebrate the Divine Liturgy of Lazarus Saturday at Saint Tikhon Monastery on Saturday, April 19, after which he will travel to Washington, DC to celebrate the Vigil of Palm Sunday at Saint Nicholas Cathedral. He will celebrate the Palm Sunday Divine Liturgy at Saint Andrew Church, Baltimore, MD.
On Great and Holy Thursday, Metropolitan Herman will celebrate the Vesperal Divine Liturgy, commemorating the Mystical Supper, and the Rite of the Washing of the Feet and, later that evening, the Matins of Great and Holy Friday with the Reading of the Passion Gospels. He will celebrate the services for Great and Holy Friday [April 25], Holy Saturday [April 26, and Holy Pascha [April 27] at Saint Nicholas Cathedral, Washington, DC.
Earlier in Holy Week he will preside at services at Saint Tikhon Monastery.
Full coverage of Metropolitan Herman’s lenten archpastoral visits will be posted on the Orthodox Church in America web site at http://www.oca.org.