Metropolitan Theodosius to preside at Seminary Library Dedication

His Beatitude, Metropolitan Theodosius, Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, will preside at ceremonies marking the dedication of the new John G. Rangos Foundation Building on the campus of Saint Vladimir Orthodox Theological Seminary here May 10 and 11, 2002.

The 28,000 square foot facility houses the seminary’s library, administrative offices and a spacious auditorium. Funding for the building was realized through the seminary’s capital campaign, inaugurated in 1991 under the deanship of the late Fr. John Meyendorff.

Dedication ceremonies will begin with a banquet on Friday evening, May 10, at the Greentree Country Club, New Rochelle, NY. Metropolitan Theodosius, who also serves as the seminary’s president, and Mr. John G. Rangos, seminary benefactor and philanthropist for whom the building is named, will share the rostrum with other dignitaries.

Metropolitan Theodosius also will preside at the Divine Liturgy in the Seminary Chapel at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 11. A Service of Prayer and the blessing of the building will be celebrated at 1:00 p.m., after which Dr. Jaroslav Pelikan, who holds the John W. Kluge Chair, Library of Congress, and is the Sterling Professor Emeritus of History at Yale University, will deliver the main address. Tours of the new building will be conducted throughout the afternoon.

Saint Vladimir Seminary is a graduate school of theology whose programs are registered by the New York State Education Department and nationally accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. The seminary offers several degrees, including the Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Theology, and Doctor of Ministry in Orthodox Theology.

Founded in 1938, Saint Vladimir Seminary counts among its alumni more than 30 Orthodox bishops, over 800 ordained clergy, and more than 700 lay men and women. The seminary was first located on the campus of General Theological Seminary, New York, NY. In 1962, the seminary acquired its present property.