June 15, 2016 is the deadline to register for the annual Continuing Education Program at Saint Tikhon’s Seminary here Tuesday through Thursday, June 21-23. Open to clergy and lay persons alike, the theme of the conference will be “Our Youth: A Precious Portion of Today’s Church Community in Great Need of Attention.”
Among the presenters will be His Grace, Bishop Thomas of the Diocese of Charleston, Oakland and the Mid-Atlantic of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, who will speak on “The Role of the Pastor in the Lives of Young People.” Among the other presenters will be
- Archpriest Dennis Rhodes, Rector of Saint George Church, Trumbull, CT, who will deliver a presentation titled “Protecting Ourselves and our Youth from the Scourge of Addiction.”
- Priest John Malcom of Saint Andrew’s Camp, Jewell, NY, whose topic will be “Ministering to Youth Through God’s Creation: The Importance of Church Camp in Today’s Society.”
- Deacon Jason Ketz of the OCA Department of Youth, Young Adult and Campus Ministry, who will discuss the use of Scripture with youth.
- Matushka Myra Kovalak of the Orthodox Christian Education Commission, who will speak on the clergy’s involvement in Church school and the importance of building relationships with their parish youth, in part through modeling as an integral part of developing a young person’s relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Emma Solak, Intern with the OCA Youth Department, who will speak on “Making Disciples and Mentoring Leaders: Campus Ministry from Start to Finish.”
According to Archpriest Dr. Steven Voytovich, Dean of Saint Tikhon’s Seminary, the program will be submitted for review for continuing education credit for clergy.