On Tuesday, September 6, 2011, the Lesser Synod of Bishop, under the chairmanship of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah, gathered for their regular meeting at the Chancery here.
Also attending the meeting were His Grace, Bishop Tikhon of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, Secretary; His Grace, Bishop Melchisdek of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania, Interim Chancellor; and His Grace, Bishop Benjamin of San Francisco and the West. His Grace, Bishop Nikon of Boston, New England and the Albanian Archdiocese was not present due to ongoing health issues. His Grace, Bishop Matthias of Chicago and the Midwest also attended.
Among the agenda items, the hierarchs
- reviewed the agendas for the forthcoming meetings of the Holy Synod of Bishops and Metropolitan Council.
- heard a report from Bishop Benjamin on the official visit to the Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia. [A feature on the visit will appear on the OCA web site at oca.org during the week of September 11.]
- heard a report from Archpriest Eric G. Tosi, OCA Secretary, concerning the 16th All-American Council.
- reviewed synodal encyclicals in process.
- discussed proposed Statute amendments to be considered by delegates to the All-American Council. [See related story at http://oca.org/news/headline-news/statute-amendments-for-consideration-at-16th-all-american-council-released.]
- discussed proposed resolutions to be considered at the All-American Council, and offered guidance to the Resolution Committee. Per Statute, the proposed resolutions will be made available 30 days before the opening of the Council.
- reviewed the work of the Church’s ministry departments.
- received the financial report of the OCA Treasurer, Melanie Ringa,and discussed a number of budget considerations.
- discussed a number of clergy issues.