Diocese: Diocese of Alaska
Deanery: Aleutian Deanery
c/o Mark Snigaroff
Atka, AK 99547
Atka is located on Atka Island, 1,200 air miles from Anchorage and 90 air miles east of Adak Naval Station. It is the most isolated Native village on the Aleutian Chain, and is located further west than any other civilian community in the US.
The island has been occupied with Aleuts over 2,000 years. The first contact with Russians occured in 1747, and Atka became an important trade site and safe harbor for Russians.
A traditional Aleut settlement, exposure to the outside world has brought changes to the traditional lifestyle; however, the Aleut language is still spoken in most homes. The Orthodox Church—St Nicholas Chapel—is a central part of village life.
The Netsvetov School is the only one in the community and was attended by 22 students (in 1997). The total population of the community is 106.
Atka is the home of the Atxam Taligisniikangis (The Atka Dancers). All the students at Netsvetov school are in the dance group.