Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey
Deanery: New York City Deanery
369 Green Ave
East Meadow, New York 11554
From the Meadowbrook Parkway
Take the Meadowbrook Parkway to exit M5 east, Hempstead Turnpike. Continue one block east to the first main intersection, which will be Merrick Avenue and Hempstead Turnpike. Turn right onto Merrick Avenue (south). Continue on Merrick Avenue to Front Street (third traffic light), and turn left (east) onto Front Street. Go on Front Street past Taco Bell to Green Avenue. At the corner of Front and Green, turn right onto Green. The church will be on the left, set back at 369 Green Avenue. Street parking is available.
From the Southern State Parkway
Take the Southern State Parkway to exit 24 (Merrick Avenue). Turn right (north) onto Merrick Avenue and proceed past eight traffic lights. At the eighth traffic light (MAB Finer Wines And Spirits will be on the corner), turn right onto Warren Street. Drive to the end of Warren Street, where the church is located at the intersection of Warren Street and Green Avenue. Street parking is available.
Schedule of Services
7:00 PM Great Vespers.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
7:00 PM Vigil.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
6:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
Wednesday Evenings in Great Lent
Confessions are offered on Saturday evenings throughout the year and on Sunday mornings (at least 30 minutes prior to the beginning of Divine Liturgy). During Great Lent, Confessions are offered on Wednesday afternoon from 5:00-6:30 PM, before the Presanctified Liturgy.
The rite of General Confession is held on the second Saturday of the month following the Vespers service (except during Great Lent).
Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, founded in 1924, was the first Orthodox Christian parish established in the Nassau/Suffolk (Long Island) area. The parish was founded by Eastern European immigrants, primarily from Galicia, Russia, and Ukraine. Although they were grateful for all that their new country offered them, they did not forget their traditions and foremost for them was the establishment of a place of worship. The celebration of the Paschal Vespers at the Koshansky home on May 5, 1918 was the first Orthodox liturgical celebration in the Nassau/Suffolk area. The urgent, practical need to have children baptized into the Orthodox Church brought priests from Manhattan to this location for the first time.
In a short period of time a community was organized, and in 1924 the Church authorities recognized the formation of Holy Annunciation Church. The first wood-frame structure was erected just behind the location of the present temple. During the 1930s, some changes within the parish necessitated a reorganization and in 1936 the Holy Trinity Church of East Meadow was incorporated. The period following World War II brought many city residents to the suburbs of Long Island. The parish grew in size and spirit. Spiritual and liturgical life progressed under faithful and dedicated priests. Proximity to St. VladimirÃÂs Seminary allowed the parish to fully participate in the liturgical renewal of the period from the 1950s to the 1970s. During this period, the parish expanded by building the present temple in the early 1960s and purchasing the Community House in the 1970s to house the Church School. Beautiful, traditional iconography was painted in the altar by Russian iconographers in the mid-1990s. Active and enthusiastic lay leadership led the Church in the spirit of Christian commitment and service. In particular, Holy Trinity Church was a leader in Church School programs and has consistently maintained this tradition.
The parish has a rich liturgical life with active participation in the major feast days, the Lenten and Paschal cycles, the Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts, Saturday evening Vespers, General Confession, and various OCA and pan-Orthodox events. The very talented directors and singers of the Holy Trinity Choir have made a major contribution to the parish’s liturgical life. The Choir continues to delve deeper into the Orthodox traditions of hymnology. All services are conducted in English since the parish is now comprised of Orthodox Christians of all traditional ethnicities as well as many converts. Services are enhanced by a warm and friendly Sunday coffee hour, Lenten potluck suppers, Paschal and Christmas breakfasts, annual picnics, and other social events.
Ministry has always been an integral aspect of Holy Trinity Church’s witness to the world. The Church School has been fortunate to have had enthusiastic, dedicated teachers and committed parents to pass on the Orthodox Christian faith and tradition to the children. The Parents-Teachers Association supports this effort, as well as sponsoring activities that foster parish fellowship. The Our Lady of Kazan Sisterhood has had a long tradition of raising funds for materials and objects that beautify and improve the church. All organizations have followed the Lord’s commandment to help the poor and sick by participating in projects related to the International Orthodox Christian Charities, the OCA Christmas Stocking Project, local food banks and hospitals, and Emmaus House of Harlem. In recent years, Holy Trinity Church has expanded its evangelism effort and publicity activities in order to proclaim the Gospel to all people on Long Island and foster spiritual formation of its parishioners. Many new small group ministries are being developed and encompass the ailing, youth, young adults, senior citizens, and home study. Holy Trinity Church prays that she will be faithful to her calling of proclaiming the Gospel to all nations through Word, Sacrament, and Deed until the Lord returns in glory. “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!” (Rev. 22:20)