Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey
Deanery: New Jersey Deanery
109 Grand St
Jersey City, New Jersey 07302-4428
Clifton, NJ 07011
Staten Island, NY 10305
Jersey City NJ 07307
Jersey City, NJ 07302
From New Jersey via Turnpike
Enter the New Jersey Turnpike Extension at #14 and proceed east to #14C. After toll exit at “Christopher Columbus Drive” and proceed through traffic light at Montgomery St and turn right exit “Christopher Columbus.” Turn right at Washington Blvd and turn right at Grand St.
From New York via Holland Tunnel
After exiting the Holland Tunnel turn left at the first traffic light, which is Grove Street. At Christopher Columbus Drive turn left. At Washington Boulevard turn right. Proceed to Grand Street and turn right. The rectory and church are on the left side.
Directions from the Grove Street (PATH STATION)
Exit the station and walk east on Christopher Columbus Drive. At Warren Street turn right. Proceed to Grand Street and turn left. The church and rectory are on the right side.
Directions from Exchange Place (PATH STATION)
Walk west on Montgomery Street and turn left at Washington Street. Walk to short blocks and turn right at Grand Street. Rectory and church are on the left.
Schedule of Services
5:00 PM Great Vespers, Confessions.
9:30 AM Hours, Divine Liturgy, Church School, Fellowship Hour.
6:30 PM Great Vespers.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:30 PM Hours, Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
For a complete list of upcoming services, please visit the Calendar of Events page on the parish website.
Confessions are heard following Vigil on Saturday Evening or Vespers on eves of Feast Days.
The parish was founded in 1907 as a part of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America. Its first pastor, St Alexander (Hotovitsky), was apppointed to administer by His Eminence, Archbishop Platon (Rozhdestvensky). The first resident pastor was Archpriest Alexander Nemolovsky.
The church building was originally dedicated in 1857 as the Free Reformed Dutch Church and was purchased by the Orthodox in 1909. Major renovations following consisted of added cupolas, Iconostasis, and other Orthodox Liturgical appointments.
Residences for the priest and choir director were erected in 1960 and a church cemetery was purchased in 1964 at Kenilworth, NJ.
The church and rectory are located in the historic Paulus Hook section of the city founded in the mid 1600’s. This section of Jersey City has undergone a massive building program consisting of high rise commercial and residential structures, the Newport Mall, a hotel, restoration of the historic Paulus Hook homes, and the development of service industry. This is an attractive area especially for its transportation accessibility to Manhattan.
The Divine Services are in English with use of Church Slavonic as needed. The parish is serving a third generation of Americans and recent immigrees from Russia, Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Ethiopia, and Egypt. All responses are sung by a choir.
The Educational Programs consist of classes for children and adults on Sunday following Liturgy.
The pastor is Fr Joseph Lickwar, who can be reached at 201-434-1986, and the director of music is Alexei V Shipovalnikov, who can be reached at 201-985-9516.