Holy Trinity Church

Yonkers, New York

Holy Trinity Church

Founded 1899

Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey

Deanery: New York City Deanery


Trinity Plaza
46 Seymour St
Yonkers, New York 10701


Parish Contacts

Home: 914-965-6815
Fax: 914-966-2466
Retired, Attached
Retired, Attached


General Location
Holy Trinity Church is located in Yonkers, New York, 10 miles north of New York City, on the banks of the historic Hudson River.

From points north
Take either Interstaste 684, 287, or Rt 9A to Saw Mill Parkway southbound, to exit 5 (Yonkers Ave West).  At the stop sign at the end of the exit, turn right.  Go to the first light and bear right onto Ashburton Ave.  Go 0.3 miles and make a left turn onto Seymour St.  The Church is on this corner.

From points south
Take the Sprain, Hutchinson, or Bronx River Parkways to the Cross County Parkway westbound, to the Saw Mill River Parkway northbound to the first exit (Yonkers Ave West).  At the light make a right.  Go to the first light and bear right onto Ashburton Ave.  Go 0.3 miles and make a left turn onto Seymour St.  The Church is on this corner.

Parking is available on the street, or in the Church parking lot around the block, on Mulberry St.

Schedule of Services

Services are celebrated using a mix of English and Slavonic.

6:00 PM Great Vespers.
Saturday Evening

9:15 AM Hours; 9:30 AM Divine Liturgy followed by Coffee Hour and Sunday School.
Sunday Morning

7:00 PM Great Vespers with Litiya.
Eves of Great Feasts

9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts

Confessions are heard one-half hour before Vespers or Liturgy.

For a complete list of upcoming services, please visit the Monthly Calendar on the parish website.  Please call the rectory to arrange Baptisms, Marriages, Memorial Services, etc.

Parish Background

Before the turn of the 20th century, settlers who came to Yonkers from Galicia and the Carpatho-Russian mountain region of eastern Europe had a common desire—to have a church.  The founding fathers of Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church organized a brotherhood society and received a charter in 1898.  Our first church was a rented structure on Elm St in Yonkers.  In 1898 Bishop Tikhon (later Patriarch of All Russia) visited the parish and sent a priest who served the first Liturgy on July 8, 1898.

In 1899 a plot of land was purchased at 10 Seymour St and the first church was built by the parishioners’ own labor.  On Labor Day of that year Rev Alexander Hotovitzky blessed the newly constructed foundation.  Two years later, that church was destroyed by fire.

In 1904 a house was purchased at 46 Seymour St with enough land to build a new church.  The new church, our present church, was completed in 1905 and Rev Benedict Turkevich was appointed the first pastor.  In 1906 Bishop Tikhon consecrated the new church.

These clergymen, Bishop Tikhon, Rev Hotovitsky and Rev Turkevich, who played a important role in our beginnings, were later destimed to play key roles in world history.  Bishop Tikhon, who visited our church on many occasions, was called back to Moscow and elected Head of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1918.  He foretold that a great darkness was about to fall on the world (communism) and that 50 million Christians would die as a result.  He was killed by Stalin on April 8, 1925 and was canonized a Martyr Saint on October 9, 1989.  Rev Hotovitzky was called back to Russia in 1905 and became Dean of the famous Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.  The Cathedral was blown up by Stalin and Rev Hotovitzky was executed.  He was canonized a Martyr Saint in 1989.  The Cathedral of Christ the Savior was rebuilt during the 1990s and was consecrated on August 19, 2000.  Rev Turkevich was called back to Russia, leaving Holy Trinity in 1914.  He and his family were murdered by the communists several years later.

Our parish celebrated the Centennial of its founding in 1999-2000.  The centennial year celebrations began on October 17, 1999 with the celebration of Great Vespers and a dinner in the church hall.  Throughout the year, several events were held to mark the centennial.  On October 15, 2000, the parish completed the celebration of its 100th anniversary with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy concelebrated by Metropolitan Theodosius, Archbishop Peter and Bishop Mercurius (Moscow Patriarchate) and seven priests, followed by a grand banquet.

We have been so blessed in our first century and remain committed to our local and world community.  Our mission has been to help the most precious of God’s gifts—the children.  We actively support orphans in Russia and Mexico.  We are involved in many important projects.  We welcome you and invite you to join with us at any time.  Come experience Orthodoxy:  Christianity in its most original form.  Glory to God for all His blessings.