Diocese: Archdiocese of Western Pennsylvania
Deanery: Eastern Deanery
915 Blair St
Portage, Pennsylvania 15946
Portage, PA 15946-1909
Summerhill, PA 15958
St. Michael’s Church is located in Portage, PA, midway between the major cities of Altoona and Johnstown and ten miles south of Ebensburg, the county seat of Cambria County.
From Rt 219 (Johnstown, Ebensburg)
Exit east on Rt 53 (Portage/ South Fork exit). Travel approximately 9 miles and turn right on to Rt 164 in Portage. Travel .8 mile into town. After the second light, make the second right onto Sonman Ave. The Church is on the corner of Sonman Avenue and Blair Street.
From Route 22 (Altoona, Ebensburgh)
Exit on to Rt 164 south and follow into Portage. In town, after second light, make the second right onto Sonman Ave. The Church is on the corner of Sonman Avenue and Blair Street.
Schedule of Services
Services are in English.
5:00 PM Vigil.
8:40 AM Hours. 9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
5:00 PM Vigil.
Eves of Great Feasts
9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
5:00 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
Friday Evenings in Great Lent
Confessions are heard following Vespers or by appointment.
The history of Archangel Michael Orthodox Church bears the common thread that brought the masses of Eastern European people to the American shores in the late 19th century, the dream of a better life. Slavic people from central Europe, the eastern European heartland of the old Austro-Hungarian Empire, the present day countries of Czechoslovakia and southwestern Ukraine, immigrated to Western Pennsylvania looking for a new life and economic opportunity. The coal fields of the Allegheny Highlands offered this opportunity.
Upon settling in the Portage area, the desire to continue to worship as they were accustomed to in their native land became apparent. The Brotherhood of St. Michael the Archangel was founded on October 24, 1911 from St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church, Conemaugh, Pa. The first steps in organizing an Orthodox Parish in Portage were taken by the Brotherhood with the help and guidance of the priest, Re. Fr. Alexis Metropolsky. In July of 1915, a charter was granted by Russian Orthodox Church through Bishop Evdokim Meshersky Three lots in block 26, currently the corner of Blair Street and Sonman Avenue, were purchased, a contract was drawn up between the congregation and contractor Ira F. Link, and the church and parish house were built.
With God’s help and the determination and sacrifice by the congregation through both service and money, the dream of having an Orthodox Church in which to worship was realized.
Eighteen Priests have served St. Michael’s through her 100 years of history. The founder was the missionary Priest Alexis Mitropolsky. The first assigned pastor was Very Rev. Fr. Anthony Repella.
Through the years the parish has been committed to maintaining the structure and appearance of St. Michaels. Though impacted by the area job market and population shifts, our remaining parishioners are committed, with the help of God, to maintaining an Orthodox presence in Portage.