Saint Adrian of Uglich was one of the first ten disciples of Saint Paisius of Uglich (June 6), for whom he was the closest cell-attendant, disciple and co-ascetic. Together with Saint Paisius, Saint Adrian was accounted worthy of a vision of the Most Holy Theotokos in 1472. Saint Paisius was in one of the cells together with Saint Cassian of Uglich (October 2), and Saints Gerasimus and Adrian.
They were singing an Akathist to the Most Holy Theotokos. Suddenly, throughout all the monastery there shone an extraordinary light, and the monks heard a voice calling them to come out of the cell. The ascetics came out in fear and in confusion, and an angel showed them the Mother of God, sitting on an airy throne and holding the Divine Infant in Her arms. The ascetics fell frightened to the ground, but the angel raised them up and related to Saint Paisius the command of the Mother of God to build on this place a church in honor of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos. The vision ended, and the monks spent the whole night in vigil and praise.
In 1482, Saint Adrian participated in the building of the stone church in honor of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos at the place indicated by the angel. Afterwards, an icon of the Protection of the Most Holy Mother of God was found. In 1489, Saint Adrian assisted Saint Paisius in building a monastery dedicated to Saint Nicholas, near the Grekhova stream, on the right bank of the Volga.
As an experienced and virtuous Elder, Saint Adrian was put there as its Superior and was made a hieromonk. He was at the funeral of Saint Paisius on June 6, 1504 and later, according to his last wishes, he was himself buried near the grave. The memory of Saint Adrian is celebrated on August 26 (because of his namesake, the holy Martyr Adrian), and also on Cheesefare Saturday.